Home Chat General Chat

Chain Oil/Lube

Just looking for some decent stuff, would normally go for WD40 but guessing there are many (as there are on Wiggle) of specific oils/lubes. Can anyone recommend any?

Thanks

Comments

• I read somewhere that you shouldn't use WD40 on your bike.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    another reason to stop using it!! thanks
  • I use Finish Line wet lube, which was recommended by a fella in Evans. Seems to work pretty well for me but matbe the more technical bike people on this forum will know better.

Just as a quick note tho, I dont use WD40 as lube for the bike, but once I have cleaned my bike with soapy water and dried it off, I spray some WD40 on a rag and give the frame a wipe over. Polishes it up nicely. Have done this a few times and doesn't seem to have any ill effect on the bike. Unless someone wants to tell me different.........
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Reasons for not using wd40 as a lube: http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

Basically it doesn't work! I use finish line wet lube for my chain in the winter, and then dry lube when it stops raining and is dry (obviously!). Also make sure you never lube a dirty chain, this will just help spread the grime and much throughout your drivetrain even more, causing it to wear quicker
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    ps, cant see why wd40 wouldnt work as a bike polish?? cheaper alternative to muc off bike spray, which i use (got it free). It will only shine up the frame, so as long as you don't use it as a lubricant, it should be fine
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Any spray lube with Teflon, I reccommend Finish Line
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I used finish line dry/wet as appropriate. Just put some dry on, deciding that winter is over :-). The teflon stuff is just great - so much cleaner!

I use Pledge to polish the frame - something my father did in days of yore. Makes it nice and shiny. And the smell is kind of comforting[;)]

But you want to clean, degrease, then apply the lube - or else you are just enabling the dirt to move around more effectively - causing wear/tear/corrosion etc. etc.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Finish line here tooo
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I might just bang some porridge all over it
    Conehead wrote:

Whichever is the most expensive. Can you get Naked Black carbon lube...??

Err. I think the naked black carbon is what you want to be cleaning off the chain/gears etc. What you want is raw gleaming gun metal, together with a satisfying quiet whirry sound.

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    She made me feel funny the other day, walked out of a coffee shop in front of me. No jumpsuit Im afraid though.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Can I be the nerd that points out the the WD bit stands for water dispersal..which is what it does, drives out the water, evaporates allowing a clean(ish) start before adding a lubricant of your choice.
    Ok..spot test!! What does the GT in GT85 stand for then?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    WD40 is a load of rubbish for anthing other than water displacement really. It works on locks that seize and also for removing chewing gum from clothes.

Like it has been said if you are going to use any sort of spreay make sure it has teflon in it.

The biggest problem with sprays is that water will wash most of them off. The best bet is something slightly thicker than a waterery consistancy.

this is not froma bike maintenamce perspective but from an engineering one. i would not even give WD40 house or shed space.
    I got sick of chaging between dry and wet lubes and switched to finish line pro road, and it does really well on the road bike in the dry and the mountain bike which get put through all the commuting and offroad shenanigans I can put it through. Its good stuff.
    Bman wrote:

Ok..spot test!! What does the GT in GT85 stand for then?

Is it just from the initials of the two predecessors companies/founders which merged to form the new company. Or something like that. Possibly in 1985?

Do you know and are just testing?

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Damn...not nerdy enough, I have no idea.