Home Chat General Chat

Gutted - sympathy please

Hi Guys

(Don't often post but do enjoy reading everyone elses)

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED - story goes like this - Riding to work as usual along eastbourne seafront peddling like a maniac for 14 miles quite happily, hanging on my aero bars -all of a sudden a big gust of wind - straight towards the kerb aaaaaggghh feet stuck in pedals aaaaaggghhhh yes back from casualty broken arm! Completely open clear bloody road! Only done one tri, the novice at ardingly ( and WON!) i was so excited after that i had entered to do anything i could find - White oak in Swanley was next.

What a plonker all that bloody training - never mind i can still run

Anyone esle been as stupid as that.

Ian

Comments

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Gutted for you Peter... I've not broken anything but have seen people killing themselves laughing at me falling over at traffic lights as I've not been able to get me feet out of toe clips in time! [:)][:)][:)]

Let yourself recover from all your hard training... body will be better for it!

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Been there done that [:(] Went on a mountain biking holiday a while back, indulged in some downhill action on the second day (with clips) took it all easy, exept for one 'easy' little pop jump. Flew over it at around 30mph, and it popped my back wheel over. I went sailing serenly through the air with a sense of impending doom as I watched the back wheel gradually arch over my head. I did a beautiful scorpion kick (I've been told that this is when you land clipped in and kick the bike off over your back) and ate dust before hugging a handy pine tree that arrested my flight. All very painful. Took the road back down (making sure to overtake as many roadies as possible; no idea why they were going so slowly [:D]). Got back to base to find my rear rim was flatted and I'd smashed the front end as well. Cost me a small fortune to fix up.

Oh and what was meant to be a month long bike holiday was ended by a broken wrist that had me in plaster for the best part of 3 months and made me miss my motor bike cramming course for a bike licence. In retorspect glad I dont have a motorbike now given my push bike shenanigans.

I feel for you Pete. Hope you heal quickly!
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    How frustrating for you.... you must feel really fed up.

Have done similar, however. Same sort of conditions, but a carrier bag blew across the road and got tangled in my chain and that was that! I felt very stupid, and was very cross with myself.

And just to add insult to injury, 3 men in a car stopped to ask directions to a hotel - totally ignoring the fact that I was standing there (in the middle of nowhere!) covered in blood from leg, hand, arm and shoulder injuries, with an unrideable bike!

And, our female members will understand this, that evening I had to go to a formal dinner and dance wearing a strapless dress. To make it worse, many of the guys on my table were 'proper' road cyclists. You can imagine the comments!

I do feel for you!!
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I've come close dodging rabbits, and people not looking in there mirrors as they open the doors.

I feel for you though with the injury. I would be absolutely gutted.

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    yeah man it is bad news and no mistake... hope you have rooney like recovery ...

Worse I have had on a bike was hitting a log off road and landing in a thankfully soft bush...few scratches only but I know how you feel I bust my knee skiing (rugby tackling the instructor) a few years back it kept me off the football pitch for 6months

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Totally understand as I broke my leg 6 weeks ago only just now started to put limited amount of weight through it and my race season for 2006 is virtually wiped out.
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Feel for you Peter, especially since you won in sussex at your first tri. Hope I have similar success.

Closest I've come is to numerous collisions with large vehicles, none of which would have been my fault I would add.

I will take extra care when flying along on the bike having heard your story.

You'll be back soon enough. Keep it up!
  • Total sympathy! I've been lucky (quick touch wood!) and worst I have done is skinned legs and arms coming off on gravel. Can appreciate the frustration as did my back in last year and was out for 6 months. You'll be back soon![;)]
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Sorry to hear about that Peter. Heal quickly & try to use the time to your advantage.
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    poor you Peter - Will be a bit more careful now on my bike which I guess can only be a good thing!

Really hope you heal quickly.