Home Chat General Chat

Porridge Ð How do you cook yours? Give me ideas....

So after dieting for 2.5 months it’s working.. However.. I’m getting really bored of the porridge in the morning.. What can I do to spice it up, without adding too many bad calories (or horrible dried fruit).

Current Method:

¾ bowl porridge, about 1 pint milk, microwave for 3 mins, leave to stand of 5+ mins then stir and eat (sometimes add more milk if it looks a little dry..) Plain but basic...

It took me 3 weeks last year to discover I had to heat it, I just used to pour in milk and eat.. that was pretty rough!!

BTW, I realise I’ve probably just upset/offended most of the forum with my abuse of the sacred oats..

Scotty the naíve one..

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Get some really good quality oats. I've settled on some nice organic porridge oats from my local farmers market. It's worth shopping around. It really makes a huge difference - you can become a porridge connoisseur!

Half cup of oats. Half cup of milk (semi skimmed or skimmed). 1 cup of water. All in a big big plastic jug (3 litre). Then into the microwave - full power for 3 mins (800w). Give it a stir. Then another minute.

leave to cool. Enjoy.

I've stopped even having honey now.

With really nice oats you get a depth of flavour that makes it almost enjoyable!

If I really want to be dirty, then honey + double cream, and a cup of really nice coffee. A coating of cream on the tongue makes the coffee taste fantastic. But at the moment that is a very rare treat!!

I occasionally experiment. The other day I had a big dollop of smooth peanut butter on the top. Haven't decided whether or not to repeat that experiment.

If you make your porridge runny enough, it is perfect for dipping your soreen in :-)
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Scotty, youre gonna love this (people are amazed when they see me do it)!

Get Sainsburys porridge (purple and clear bag), just add 1.5x volume boiling water, mix and let it sit for 2-3 min (soaks it right up so no need for cookin, magic!!), add a handful of rasins and top it off with milk.

Or even tastier, add milk to the raw oats the night before, whack em inthe fridge and it soaks it up overnight. Rasin it up and voila!

Im getting hungry now!
    @scott: Either you have your's very runny, or you have a massive bowl! I like mine thick, so probably use more like one cup of fluid rather than 1.5 cups: So 1/3 of a pint! No way could I eat three times that in a sitting! But if you are loosing weight, then I guess it is working for you.
    @scott: Of course, you could add a drop of cochineal to it. Then it would be more to your liking.[:)]
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Yum.

I put a dollop of organic fruit 'jam' in mine (no sugar, just applejuice as a sweetener) and it's gorgeous.

If you don't like dried fruit - you could try fresh blueberries.

blurredgirl
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Is nobody going to suggest chunks of Soreen? Never tried but it just... might.... work!
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I use Asda best brand of porrdge oats, soak in the bowl in the frdge overnigh...with raisins in - this way the raisins sweeten the porride!
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I can second the fresh blueberries. Have them on top of the sacred stuff every morning with a nice dollop of solid honey (as opposed to runny!)

Could also stir in half a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Definitely get some fresh fruit in there...sometimes I add pomegranate and kiwi.

• Half a cup of Scots Oats and a cup of water. Cook for a couple of mins in the microwave. Serve with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of crunchy granola (I use munchy seeds granola) and a little cold milk. Yummy.
  • 1/2 cup of Scots oats with a mixture of dried fruit and nuts from any good health foods shop, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup water and leave in fridge overnight-lush! I find I can scoff this pretty quick in the morning whereas if I heat the same amount of oats I struggle to finish-why is that??

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    You bunch of porridge faced perverts! Porridge is the food of the devil.

What you need is a 50:50 mix of wholewheat unsweetened meusli and bran with semi-skimmed milk. You have your nuts, raisins etc all included and don't have to demean yourselves by eating warm horse-food and trying to find something in your cupboard to make it interesting.

Freaks.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Micro waves? sacrilege...got to be on the stove top in my le creuset saucepan. 2 cups so good soy milk, 1 cup organic oats stir with a spoon carfted from soreen with heat resistant carbon handle, on day off (today) tip in golden syrup, rest of week just raisins..except saturday when a small amount of maple syrup may be involved.

occasionally make Gary Rhodes porridge recipe........
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    1) Porridge + a teaspoon of honey = yummy!

Even better if you can get a local honey, as it'll help with hayfever come summer.

2) What about Ready Brek? It's oats and is great with sultanas.

3) Whole Earth 'Swiss Style Organic Muesli'. It's the great as well. Oats, fruit, nuts. Sorted.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Fresh fruit really adds porridge a new life. I don't like spending 4x the price for really nice organic and pretty oats, so I go for bananas or apple or peanut butter (I pretend its a fruit) or some of my mother-in-law's homemade jam. Very tasty.

And Britspin, you're totally right that the microwave is just a travesty for porridge. It takes about one minute longer on the stovetop and the outcome is signifcantly smoother and creamier IMO.

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    I prefer to keep my porridge failry runny, 1/2 a cup of oats to a cup of soya milk. Added to that is a banana and a liberal squeeze of Dulce de Leche. If you can't find Dulce de Leche then condensed milk is almost as good. I'm suprised I've seen no comments about adding red food dye to the porridge to improve.

David.
    Boycie wrote:

I'm suprised I've seen no comments about adding red food dye to the porridge to improve.

You've not read the thread closely enough, unless I was a bit too subtle. I was trying to see quite how innocent Scott is when it comes to cooking. Not only did I get a "red" reference in, but also a "soreen" one. Which seems to be essential to any thread on this board [;)]
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    You could carve a bowl out of soreen and eat your porridge with a red carbon spoon? Oh then your bowl....
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    My apologies Jack, I accept my slap on the wrist.
  • porridge, cold milk, sugar lovely.
  • Kiwi fruit, banana, dried cranberries and apricots loads of cinnamon Gotta luv it
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Raisins. Nice and simple. Like me.
    I've stayed at a few hotels, where, in what I assume is an attempt to impress American tourists with their faux Scottishness, they offer a measure of whisky to pour over the porridge. Not tried it myself, so don't know if it is good or bad. But it seems a waste of good whisky to me.
    What about the criminal waste of porridge?
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    Make mine with water then add 1 spoon of runny honey, some bluberries, a banana and some pumpkin seeds.

@britspin: You've obviously not tried porridge in a hotel.

Last time in Prague just after Christmas....crystal bowl, like a martini glass only bigger (not much tho), row or blueberries arranged around the edge & a sprig of mint in the middle..not bad, would not be improved by whisky.
    Oh..err.. um... I mean't you've not tried porridge in a hotel in .. err.. Slough?
    Slough? No.
    It's Rhubarb time, here in the Yorkshire Rhubarb Triangle. I stewed up some rhubarb, with some mixed spices and some dark muscovado sugar, and had that as a rather nice topping to this morning's porridge. Actually, I was starving after getting in from last nights Comic Relief activities, so had some rhubarb then - just on some oaty musesli - which is a bit like porridge.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Depends on whether I'm in a hurry or not:

On a work morning - 1 part quaker oats (roughly half a mug) to 1.5 parts soya milk - microwave for 3 mins, then add 1tsp manuka honey, and two dessert spoons of chopped prunes or raisins. Flaked almonds are also a good option. Tasty and keep you going all morning if needs be.

If I've a bit more time, make it on the stove - miles nicer, but you need to stir it to make it really creamy.