Home Chat General Chat

"220 Triathlon?" or "Triathletes World?" those are the questions.

2»

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Because of this thread I actually bought triathletes world this month just to see what it is like compared to 220. I have been pleasently surprised and actually thinks OK. Its 220 of course and I will still purchase it when it hits the shelf in WH smiths.

Nice bit on turbo's and trail shoes.

I will of course give myself 10 lashes with the cat and nine tails before bed for buying but 220 fear not the force is still strong for your mag.
  • jac wrote:
    Like one of the previous posters I got a sample of the soon-to-be-launched Triathlon Plus with Cycling Plus this month. It certainly looks pretty good and I'll definitely be getting the first edition next month.

I am keen reader of Runners World (aka, a runner) and got a couple of free copies of Triathletes World which they ran for about six months for a tester prior to its release in March this year.

Compared with 220 it is very light, but as a novice was ideal and helped me prepare and do my first couple of sprints. Its only during the winter I've been getting a better understanding and finding 220 interesting and useful.

Are we now saying there will be THREE magazines on the shelves?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Got my first copy of Triathlete's World at the weekend. Like others have said thought it was a bit light. But there was still plenty of useful stuff in there - particularly swimming tips which I'm aiming to incorporate.

I guess the amount of 'new' information in any of these mags is going to be limited, but for me at the moment it's about soaking up as much as I can and doing a bit of trial and error until I find methods that work for me.

• s9904055s9904055 Posts: 10
    I popped down to my local WHSmiths yesterday and thought that I should pay a visit to the latest issue of 220 Triathlon. I noticed the new issue of Triathletes World sitting right next to it on the shelf. I picked both of them up and was shocked to find out that this months Triathlete's World was half the size of 220 Triathlon. Looked at the price, both demanding £3.99. I took a quick browse through both of them and both seemed to offer the usual advice and know how. I am still on the side of 220 Triathlon. Triathletes World still isn't convincing me enough, especially in the lack of quantity in this months issue, to justify turning sides. Does size matter?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I took up the offer of a free copy of TW. It hasn't arrived, so they can sod off!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    That Triathlete's World magazine is a bit of a '220-lite', IMHO. Mind you, as many others have said, 220 has been a bit 'lite' itself recently.

Funny enough, almost exactly 1 year ago I think we had exactly the same discussion. One particularly bright and helpful forum member (ME! [8D]) even started a thread for article suggestions. We had some good ideas on there, though benny probably de-railed it with suggestions about waxing (see latest magazine!) and red porridge.... [:D] (Joke).

Anyway, when it got to a suitable size I sent the link to the editor. Quick as a flash, nothing happened.

On a similar topic, has anybody else noticed how forum questions keep popping up on the letters pages? I reckon those lazy buggers are copoying our threads (and our answers) and putting any old name at the end of them.... or are you lot secretly ignoring the forum advice and copying your questions to the 220 team as well?
  • I just did a search for Triathlete Magazine as I'm interested in getting hold of a copy and the tri247 website has set up some sort of special subscription rate for $60 / year for the print version. Wish I'd have seen that when the £ was a bit stronger. Might go for it anyway as sounds like a good read.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Thankyou so much Bopo, I was getting that deja vu feeling when reading the coaching pages & checking the names..David Davies? Hmmmm.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Exactly, Bopo and Britspin, I smelt something too.

Particularly the question sections, they coincidentally are practically the same as some on the forum.

Didn't notice about the names though, I thought all you peeps in GB were called David Davies,or so!!

I supposed you all got very lazy parents!? [:)]

Ona final note: I still prefer 220! (If only they would include free Soreen along their issues, so I could try one of them[:(]).
  • As a complete newbie to triathlon, I bought Triathletes World after seeing it advertised in Runners World, I read the first issue cover to cover and loved it, so I subscribed. I have only just discovered 220 Triathlon, but as a newbie its a heavier weight (content wise). I will still buy it as I want to get as much information as possible. But it seems to me that these two magazines can both prosper and sit comfortably side by side, 220 for the more experienced and Triathletes World for the newer triathlete.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    [quote:]On a similar topic, has anybody else noticed how forum questions keep popping up on the letters pages? I reckon those lazy buggers are copoying our threads (and our answers) and putting any old name at the end of them.... or are you lot secretly ignoring the forum advice and copying your questions to the 220 team as well? Bopomofo

[/quote]

Chlorine allergy this month!!!

Think you may be on to something Bopo!!!

Now that could really be a controversial thread.

G
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Maybe we could post some 'fake' topics for the forum? See what happens.....

Though thinking up fake topics could be interesting....
    Anybody else noticed the 220 logo is RED!!!!

How come do you think?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well they have resisted the temptation of our porridge/soreen/carbon/knitted tri suit threads...but not shaving...is it only a matter of time?
    Was reading the new 220 this month and looked like a big issue 150+ pages then i was looking for something to read an get my teeth into and - 72 pages of adverts in this months 220 is that why its "heavier"?

G
  • 220 does have a lot of ads in it but secretly... i quite like reading them... it's pipe dreams for me!! haha x
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    I got the free issue of Triathlete`s world as well. Thought it was rubbish.

I agree that 220 can be a bit repetitive.I used to buy Triathlete from America many years ago(so long ago that race reports were about such legends as Dave Scott,Mark Allen,Scot Tinley and Mike Pigg).

It was brilliant and if it was back in the shops I wouldn`t hesitate to buy it.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Not sure if its the same magazine but I do recall seeing one called "Triathlete" in Borders - they had about 5 or 6 different Tri magazines last time I went there - Never been in a book store that sold so many magazines from around the world.

• s9904055s9904055 Posts: 10
    Thanks for re-focusing this thread back to the subject intended GHarv. However, I am still deciding whether to renew my subscription with 220 or switch to Triathlete's World, or even some other mag altogether.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    To mix it up a bit more, 'Triathlete' magazine (US) is available as a digital only subsription downloadable each month. And there's also 'Inside Triathlon' as well at $30 dollars for 12.

[color=#666600]http://triathlon.competitor.com/subscriptions.html#subscribe[/color]

Man, I'm not gonna be able to get any training done with all this reading to do!

I still look forward to getting 220 but i did enjoy the sample of Triathlon Plus - i though Boardmans advice and ideas on being aero were probably some of the best i've come across and maybe even went against the grain of conventional tri advice and actually found the swimming tips useful.

I do fin 220 a bit difficult for swimming but the Tri PLus seemed to make it simple may be the better pictures?

But 220 keep up the good work.

G
    Well, just picked up the first issue of Triathlon Plus and have to say its not bad! A solid 160 pages and some decent articles (I'm a newbie so might not meet the expectations of all the ironmen and women).

Comes with free SiS Go electrolyte and as luck would have it managed to diagnose a slight injury I didn't even realise I had. After an 8 mile run on Sunday (my longest by a good two miles) woke up the next day to some tightness on the outside on my knee.

According to Triathlon Plus I reckon I've got 'iliotibial band friction syndrome' or 'runners knee'. More stretches and strengthening work for me then.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    According to Triathlon Plus I reckon I've got 'iliotibial band friction syndrome' or 'runners knee'. More stretches and strengthening work for me then.

Hi Flavedave,

Had the same problem as you...above the knee on the outside.

I might be over-reacting but if your upping the miles i'd recommend seeing a decent sports physio...

I left mine and eventually started getting pain in my kneecap - had to stop rinning for a while....

He absolutely killed me doing some work on it. You can also get a tube (i'm using an old poster tube) - lie on your side and roll up and down on it on the band. Again kills but is supposed to do the trick!!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Finally got my free Triathlete's World. I thought it was quite good, more focussed on the, er, less elite side of the sport.

I think a bloke in work is going to subscribe so I'll read his TW and he'll read my 220, everyone's a winner.
    Thanks willtri, I'm going to ease right off on the miles for now, but if no change or it gets worse I'll definitely take your advice and get to a physio.
    Just finished off the previous issue of 220(Yes, I know, you guys already finished the next issue). That shows the diminished intrest in the mag and the lack of time I'm having at this moment.[:'(]

I know we were laughing at it before, the fact that they put in Q&A's from the forum and stuff. But I was really shocked when I saw the 'Is 8 days enough question' I asked in the forum: http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=23952 ,printed in 220.

Noticed my name changed into a female one and seems I'm officialy a domestic UK -er!!??[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Way to go 220, Really crap. Is this what we pay for? Reading questions and answerswe made ourselves??[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m7.gif[/image]