Home Chat General Chat

Boardman or Trek?

I'm researching my first road bike purchase and it's down to '09 Boardman Comp' vs. '09 Trek 1.5'. Budget £700 tops!

Does anyone have constructive advice regarding the two in terms of frame quality and general value for money?

I need something that I can use for many many years to come as I believe in buying for the long term and upgrading / repairing. I have a Trek MTB of 15 years still going strong today (admittedly with many upgrades) and that says a lot for build quality. Saying that, £ for £ the Boardman does look better on paper and reviews.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• I tend to check out the reviews on Bikeradar.com. Guaranteed to have reviews on entry level bikes.

• I don't mean to confuse the situation but have you tried the Giant Defy? Get a test ride, I found it much more fun than the trek.

• To continue Teapot's theme, what about the Specialized Allez? My LBS stock Specilaized, Trek & Giant and were bigging up the Allez Sport at that sort of price point.
  • I would go for the Boardman, the reviews are amazing, I nearly brought a Team Carbon until my car broke down :(

One word of warning, don't expect any customer service from Halfords, such a shame they are the only dealers, but there you go...
  • boodogboodog Posts: 18
    Go for the boardman mate. I was in the same situation and was looking at both specialized allez and trek 1.5. Someone on the forum suggested i look at the boardman.

I did and bought it. I rode both trek and specialized and they were heavier less balanced and a lot less responsive. The spec of the boardman wipes the floor with both of the others and before the upgrade brigade chip in; why buy a bike with lower spec and an average frame when you can have the boardman which already has a very good spec, a light frame and fork and has had some great reviews.

I have always been a keen competitive cyclist both on and off road and have previously owned trek, specialized and an idependant british made road bike made to my spec, however in all honesty the boardman has been the best so far.

However as previously mentioned don't rely on Halfords to be anything more than useless when it comes to advice or support. Take it to your LBS, mine is a specialized dealer and they look after it for me. They were also quite gobsmacked at what you actually get for your hard earned. And finally haggle with the manager, I got a £300 discount eventually.
  • boodog wrote:

Go for the boardman mate. I was in the same situation and was looking at both specialized allez and trek 1.5. Someone on the forum suggested i look at the boardman.

I did and bought it. I rode both trek and specialized and they were heavier less balanced and a lot less responsive. The spec of the boardman wipes the floor with both of the others and before the upgrade brigade chip in; why buy a bike with lower spec and an average frame when you can have the boardman which already has a very good spec, a light frame and fork and has had some great reviews.

I have always been a keen competitive cyclist both on and off road and have previously owned trek, specialized and an idependant british made road bike made to my spec, however in all honesty the boardman has been the best so far.

However as previously mentioned don't rely on Halfords to be anything more than useless when it comes to advice or support. Take it to your LBS, mine is a specialized dealer and they look after it for me. They were also quite gobsmacked at what you actually get for your hard earned. And finally haggle with the manager, I got a £300 discount eventually.

You got £300 discount! How did you manage that?

How did you go about getting the right size, my local halfords are not prepared to get two sizes in for me to try, even though I offered to put the bike together. They wouldn't even allow a supervised ride to test the bike out in the car park!
  • boodogboodog Posts: 18
    Grant,

I guess my local halfords is not as bad as I thought considering you couldn't even get to ride a bike. Mine had all of the 2008 size bikes in stock and two of the 2009 for me to try. We adjusted as required and they were happy for me to try them out around the local estate (I did leave the wife and kids as deposit!).

I got the discount because I asked for it. I wanted a 09 bike they didn't have and they wanted to sell the 2008 display bike. The guy was a bit unsure at first but I persisted and had the cash. Remember that the mark up on this sort of thing is huge. If you dont ask you dont get.[;)]
  • Trek have build quality issues. Even on the higher range models. I know someone who gets through frames every couple of months due to cracking frames. I also know in my LBS they have to put right alot of things on treks during PDI's, things like cross threaded bottom brackets, lots with paint defects go back.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Boardman, I listened to quite a few Trek cracking horror stories today at a reliability trial. Seems that a bad batch have come to the UK
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Just gone for the team carbon also (09).

Carbon - part internal cable rounting 10/10 cycling plus.

Discounts available if you ask.

Bike republic the new bike hut stores.

G
  • Thanks guys for the advice. I was a little worried hearing the stories on the Trek cracking issues (eek!). I thought Trek's name was know for quality. Think it might be the Boardman for me. I tried one out (as best you can in a Halfords 1st floor bikehut!) at the weekend and felt good in the saddle and incredibly light.

Now all I need to do is haggle a bit. Something I wouldn't dream of doing with my LBS but Halfords - you've just got to!

Cheers All
  • Boardman
  • Second that! Boardman
  • Glad I found this thread, I too am considering the Boardman Comp. Although you can still buy the 08 version for £499.00
  • Jason, if only! Does anyone know a store that still has any?

There certainly isn't any in the whole South West of England!!!
    I got mine from cycle republic i think their the new bike chain from Halfords. Really good. Wanted a medium they had to order but it was in within 3 days. They also are going to do a fitting when i pick it up and will fit my pedals for free.

Check them out.

G
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Just bumping this thread. I went to my LBS yesterday and looked at the Trek 1.5. It's very nice, and I would have the shop set it up for me.

Against that I see the view on this thread is that the Boardman is a better bike, so I will go and have a look at one in Halfords.

If I went for the Boardman - are Halfords really so shocking that I should just get the bike out of there as quick as I can and never go back?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    are Halfords really so shocking that I should just get the bike out of there as quick as I can and never go back?

Easy one, that: YES.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Since bumping the thread this morning I have discovered that none of the Halfords anywhere near me actually supplies the Boardman range. The nearest is quite a distance away.

The LBS that sells the Trek is a five minute walk from my house, so I think they probably win even if the spec is not so good as the Boardman.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    The problem I had when looking at the Boardmans was the fact Halfords wouldn't let me spin one out - not even in the car park.

I felt that, despite the great reviews, I didn't want to buy one without even trying it.

Plus, the level of knowledge of the two Halfords guys I came across was miniscule compared to that of the guys in my LBS.

Sometimes you just have to use your gut feel.

I bought the Boardman Team Carbon no test run - love it.

Bought my wetsuit with no trial - love it.

Tests are important but can be overated!

Sometimes the advice and recommendations of others outweigh it IMO.

Sometimes you just have to go with what feels right.

Not all will agree but heh..........

G
  • CyclmistCyclmist Posts: 1
    I have a Boardman 08 race and its great, very light responsive and has been good. Not all Halfords the stores hold stock but the can order you them in. I got mine from the Rugby store and I was pleased with the Girl who set my bike up as reading forums makes you wonder, but tis been fine. Im not looking at a mtb for of road use from the 09 range but not to sure which as its my first mtb since i was a kid. The Boardman 09 range is here if anyone could give me advice please do!

• neilcoeneilcoe Posts: 6
    Just noticed my thread has been resurrected! Com-on!

I've still not bought the bike yet (finances) but will be soon, I hope. GHarv, I totally agree with you. Gut instinct is the best choice for all you decicions and with that it is the Boardman for me. I would dearly love for my LBC to be selling me the Boardman Comp, as I believe in local trade, but how do you justify buying something that doesn't feel right for you just to help your local economy? All my day to day shopping for food, clothes, books etc is local so not going to beat myself up.

However, will it be possible to haggle a price out of Halfords when they will have to order one in especially for me?!? Or do I need to travel 55miles to nearest store that stocks them

N
    Yes - haggle.

Remember they will have targets to meet! Even if they have to order.

Putting my work head on ask them if they have the ability to do discounts for club members.

They'll no doubt say yes or they'll have to ask.

They'll come back probably straight away with 10% and probably won't need evidence.

If they give 10% they'll give a bit more with a nudge - use good cop bad cop with the wife/partner or friend or go away and come back.

Could you do it today at £x be a bit cheeky at least if they knowck you back you know where their limits are.

Be brave.

If you don't ask you don't get.

Good luckk.

G
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Well, I couldn't decide what to get!

So, in the end I worked out my budget - something I thought would be a reasonable for a starter - OK for the first TTs and Tris, but once I knew a bit more about what I need, it can be relegated to the training/backup bike next year.

So, I took my budget to the Local Bike Shop - said what my requirements were, and basically let them decide. I also don't have the space for a full workshop, so what the LBS to be involved in the odd service/fix now and again.

Just waiting for it to arrive now!