Home Chat General Chat

pool etiquette

If you every read coneheads book, you swim straight over them and make sure you get some elbows in!

In the pool you touch the persons feet and they should let you past on the next turn.

Not too sure open water, but I am 80% sure you can 'Draft' I only say this because people say get behind someone and hang on!

Good luck!

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    now I'm absolutely positive I will not need the first query

how do you pass a swimmer in front of you?

how do you get out of the way of someone behind you?

and

is drafting banned in the swim as well as the bike?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    how do you pass a swimmer in front of you?

In a pool you tap their feet. Do it twice so they know it wasn't just their own toes fluttering. They should get out of the way at the next turn. If they don't they either put up with it or wait until you are certain you know it is clear on the other side of the lane and SPRINT!

For open water, go around them. Or use your right arm to grab their ankle and pull, left arm on their shoulder to press them down as you go over.

Yes, joke.

how do you get out of the way of someone behind you?

In a pool, when they touch your feet let them past at the end of the lane. In an OW swim they will go around you. Or over you, see above.

is drafting banned in the swim as well as the bike?

Nope. Wait for somebody faster to overtake you then swim on their heels if you want, or catch up with the guy in front and let them tow you along. Drafting is OK for the swim in either pool or OW triathlons.

We can probably start a big fat argument about whether or not drafting in the swim is ethical or not....
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    OI, I swim at David Lloyd!! cheeky t**t!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Nah, Im darn sarf mate!! Dartford. Can get a bit cocoon-esque some mornings, but I favour this to the soup of pubes, plasters and pikeys at the public (pubic) pool!!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265

We can probably start a big fat argument about whether or not drafting in the swim is ethical or not....

in theory you could probably draft in the run aswell, esspecially if there is a strong head wind!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    graham33 wrote:

in theory you could probably draft in the run aswell, esspecially if there is a strong head wind!

That would explain why I always have a running group behind me.

On the bike it was first out of the water got to shelter behind the media van.Until the referees caught on.