Home Chat General Chat

10 mile TT

JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
I was on my bike the other day and comphortably did 10 miles in 34 mins. Is this any good? Trying to compare times to other results found on the web gives mixed reactions. I must stress the roads were not smooth, and there were some large hills.

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    its faster than me - or at least my 11mile TT route...current best is 41mins but haven't done that for a while..I will have a go at that thursday morning or maybe tonight and let you know how I get on

I reckon with hills though its a fair time....

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    My current best is 39m 45s for 12.4miles (20km). I've never done a 10 mile TT as my trainings been based around a 20km distance.

34min seems pretty good though.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    have done a 20km in 41 mins on me mtb (after the swim in cheshire tri the other week)
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Did 32 mins on a 10mile TT a few weeks ago - but that was 2 up with a really good cyclist pulling me round most of the way ....
    are you confessing to drafting ?????
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for that. And I think he is confessing to drafting. Ban that cheat lol
    eeek ... parcfish aint a he

feck thats worse than drafting

madnurse
    Yes - definitely drafting - and it was allowed! Honest!

Really good for me too - on my own, over an easier 9.8mile course, I've still only managed 32 mins. And since the guy I was drafting is an excellent road race cyclist he also had the spare capacity to shout instructions/encouragement/swear at me too.

If you get the chance to go 2 up with someone much better than you (if there are such people, of course!) it's definitely worth it.
    Think having 4 children probably proves I'm female (or I should be making a lot of money out of it!!). Probably would have helped if my mum had called me Jane, or Alice, or Sharon ....
  • trichamptrichamp Posts: 22
    I've got down to a 28.18 for 10 miles from 31 mins last year but all our courses are totally flat so 34 sounds ok for a hilly course. aero bars make a hell of a difference!!!. i don't know if you use them or not

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Jason - 34 mins for a 10m when effectively training is OK. The two i have done this year so far were 25:39 and 27:09 same course but very different weathers. If i was to go out in training and do the same distance i doubt i would get much under 30 mins because of the mental approach. Put me in a race and i go mental!

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk

try this and see if you can find a local club with a club 10m TT series, then go out and hammer it. You will soon get faster and learn to handle the bike better at the speed and under the stress of racing. This will give you confidence and the legs to compete in sprints and Olys.

David
    First apologise to pacrfish.

Secondly I was thinking of doing a 10 mile TT, but am too scared if truth be known lol. I have this fear of coming last. But you are right, there is no better training than competing.

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    You will find that there is a very wide time spread at TT's anywhere from 20 mins ish to around 45 mins ish. Like all sports theres always good medium and learning.
    JasonB - first, no need to apologise, and second I was really, really nervous at my first TT. Cyclists are a scary bunch, and can be a bit elitist sometimes. I was terrified I'd fall off as soon as the person holding my bike let me go at the start (I didn't, but I did wobble a lot!). But it is worth it, and each person is really only interested in their own times, not yours.

Go for it, Jason!
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I've only done a couple of TT so far, agree that cyclists are an odd bunch, certainly no where near as friendly as triathletes I think, but this is based on a limited exposure. The first time was very odd, felt very much the outsider and it was a completely different experience to my first tri where I found people to be really friendly. Definately worth the effort though.

My time for a 8.85mile TT is 24mins 26secs, very flat but quite a few nasty corners in it (at least I like to think that). I'm hoping to do a true 10m later this week and will let you know how it goes.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    JasonB, I did a 25 mile time trial a couple of weeks ago & came last by about 5mins! Didn't do much for the ego, but it hasn't put me off, just made me realise how lazy I've been & how fast it is possible to go if you put the effort in. Somebody's got to come last!
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Well said Rob I couldn't have put it better myself with reference to seeing how fast others go and being motivated to go faster.
    isnt also the ethos of a time trial ... is that its against the clock not against those around you .. so how can you come last
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Mad - now that's psychobabble[;)] What you will find is that when you are passed by someone faster, although we as triathletes[8D], are not allowed to draft, there is a massive psychological pull. Don't be downhearted that you have been caught, use the sight of the faster rider to pull you along, all the time you can see them they will help you to focus and concentrate not on how much it hurts but on how hard you can pedal.

It is also great fun racing on a big A road where there is a lot of large traffic, the drafting is very real. If it is club event make sure you sign on early as it is often numbered on a first come first start basis. If you are worried about being slow then you want to start early.

Worrying about whether i would be fast enough has delayed my triathlon debut for 6 years! Why was i worried.

Go out and do it

David

Sounds good DOtriHarder, but what happens when I can't see them. Think I will get off my bike and catch the next bus.

I have an in club Duathlon tonight. Only a wee one of 7 mile bike setting of every 1 minute, then 2 mile run. So I suppose that will do as an introduction to racing with others.

I do remember years ago when I was 19 competing in Tri that my bike times were OK, but as you said as soon as you are up against others those times tend to get smashed. So heres hoping