Home Chat General Chat

Strength and flexibility in aero position

Hello all!

Ok, so I was playing with the race bike on the turbo today, just checking position. It was going to be primarily focused on the cleats, as I've fiddled around with these a bit recently and had a bit of pain in the inside of my thigh, but thats another story.

I havent ridden this bike in aero for a while, due to injury and it not having been let out due to weather, the position is quite low, I used to be comfortable with a nice flat back and pretty aero I would say. But alas! I seem to have lost flexibility due to recent injuries!

However since I was nice and flexible before christmas I have read a fair few articles say stretching is bad! So I am not too sure which way to go to get my flexibility back!

So does anyone have any thoughts on this? How to increase my lower back and hamstring flexibility for aero position?

I have responded by putting the seat down a tad, and the bars up a bit to compensate in the short term, but I want my aero position back!

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Pilates - will help strengthen core muscles and therefore back and the leg moves definitely work the hamstrings[:D]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    thankyou moonshine, it seems all roads seem to lead back to pilates!

Any tips on decent pilates videos? or anywhere on the internet I can see some?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Jack Sparrow..Pilates of the Caribbean..on bluray too.

But seriously folks....I would suspect that a lookie see would be OK, but to really get the benefit then a class would be the best option, just to make sure you are in the right position etc etc.
    hmmm, I thought you might say that, not sure my dignity will run to a pilates class as there is only 1 I know of and my girlfriend goes to it and there are no men that go there!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    'hmmm, I thought you might say that, not sure my dignity will run to a pilates class as there is only 1 I know of and my girlfriend goes to it and there are no men that go there! 'TommiTri

but I can guarentee that being the only male in the class you will get some very focused attention and honestly most of us are too busy suffering to notice a bloke - our local rugby team had a pilates class for a bet - never again will they call anyone who goes a wimp, most couldn't walk down stairs - classes definetly way to go but if you're desperate to see a dvd go for a Stott pilates one - in my opinion they're the best, especially the on the ball ones should you wish to take torture to another level
    Thank you kindly moonshine, I will ask my gf if she minds if I attend!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Seen Mel Gibson in a movie where he attended some gym class with only women (and 1 guy of course, himself). I bet he doesn't even mind you calling him a wimp or not, he was in heaven!

To say it in the allsaying words of the great Austin Powers: yeah baby yeah!!!!
  • Tommi,

My 1 recommendation if you are going to attend a pilates class is to get there early.. I attended one and arrived late, the only space left was at the front of the class right in front of the instructor.. there was no hiding!!! I'm was an inflexiable rugby player.. and I will definitely echo Moonshines comments about the pain the days after... much worst than any rugby game DOMS!!!

I now incorporate a similar session at least once a week to work on my flexibilty, it's a mixture of Pilates, Ti-chi and Yoga.. I understand it will also prevent injuries....

good luck..