Home Chat General Chat

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Hey peeps, hate to post this one, cause it could ruin a lot for some of us.

But I just read on another site that the swim part of the UK IM is in a certain reservoir, in which they also do another 1 mile swim race. This race has been held 4 times before, but will be cancelled now for health and safety reasons.

Hope it won't interfere with the IM plans, so they won't have to cancel the race (which is possible!).[:'(]
    I just read it on Everymantri.

Thanks fot the link , WBTri
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    There was an article about this in the Manchester Evening News paper yesterday, but in it, it said that IMUK and a Sailing club would still be allowed to use their lake for their events, part of the complaints of the tri club. Should be safe for now....
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    What is it about the Rivington area and people getting banned from the area,guess there must be something in the water.Maybe United Utilities wish to join the long list of people saying no,from North West Water saying no to walkers,to going back to 1896 when the land owner said no to a few people walking up Coal pit rd and banning access and consequently 12000 people got together for a mass trespass to tell him to 'stick it'.

If it is going to be a hot summer,and the reservoir dries up, U.U. might get the organisers to move the swim to the Leeds and Liverpool canal[8D].
  • is the ironman uk nolonger in sherbourn? the swim at the castle is grest fun.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    halfanironman wrote:

is the ironman uk nolonger in sherbourn? the swim at the castle is grest fun.

Fun.Okaaaayy if you say so.
  • What are the chances that it will have to be cancelled?
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Its not cancelled, its just politics (ie money!!) and The Ironman brand carries a fairly hefty cheque book!!!! The race is still on...........
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    My tri club is encouraging folks to email the sports minister about this - clearly UU's reasoning is rubbish. Far more people will watch the Ironman swim than the local tri club event so there's a much greater scope for "encouragement" of swimming by that event. The real reason is obviously that Ironman UK are able to pay a hefty sum to UU unlike Bolton Tri club.

Most people who drowned swimming by themselves would have been drinking before hand I'd suggest.

Here's the link to the MEN article:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1101828_triathletes_banned_from_reservoir

IMUK also said in an email, anyone caught swimming in the reservoir at any time other than the official IMUK swim sessions and race will be given a lifetime ban at the request of UU...
    agent_ti wrote:

IMUK also said in an email, anyone caught swimming in the reservoir at any time other than the official IMUK swim sessions and race will be given a lifetime ban at the request of UU...

Dare I say: Ridiculous, childish, stupid ?é*%µ with their laws on everything!!!
    It's probably because theyre worried about all of us trained, serious athletes, in our buoyant wetsuits with someone watching, having an accident
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Lifetime ban from IM? Or the reservoir? Be interesting to try that one out in court.
    IMUK Email wrote:

**Please Note: At the direct request of United Utilities there is NO SWIMMING at Rivington Reservoir at any time - other than Official IRONMAN UK times. IRONMAN UK is pleased to be working with United Utilities and will ensure that ANY athlete caught swimming in the lake prior to race day will receive a lifetime ban from ALL IRONMAN UK events. Full details of any such athletes will also be forwarded to the World Triathlon Corporation for any similar action that they see fit to issue in regard to their other global IRONMAN events. Please note that Rivington Reservoir is private property and therefore this request from the owners, United Utilities, must be observed by all IRONMAN UK athletes, friends, family and supporters. Please respect the wishes of IRONMAN UK and United Utilities.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Hmmmm. Would love to challenge that..if I had money. Whilst can understand not wanting hordes of athletes descending at random & splashing around, are they saying no organise sessions? No opportunity to make money? For a privatised utility that seems odd.
    I love that last part:' please respect the wishes of IM UK and UU'.

Does that make anyone else feel like breaking those rules right now.

If I ever get caught, I'll tell them my name is 'Shoesnikewhatever..'.

Or bribe them with some Soreen, that aught to work.

Any news on the subject anyone??
    Had an email from them this morning reminding us to check their website before emailing them with questions, so everything seems to be ok...
  • Sounds more like someone has a bee in their bunnet tbh. They dont have a legit reason for stopping the event.

One of you guys accidently scrape his car with your bike?