Home Chat General Chat

The other half is annoyed... How much washing??

I can't be the only one whos other half is starting to get annoyed with them over Triathlons!! if it's not the time spent training, it's the kit cluttering up the house or recently, simply the amount the clothes that is either waiting to be washed (and smelling) or hung around the house drying, I never thought I actually use some of those t-shirts again!!!

Sorry for the moan.. just spent far too long this weekend washing clothes and tidying up the house..

Scotty

I know Conehead - you wrote a whole book about it .....

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I just wear the clothes multiple times, I don't care, the more smell the harder I've worked in it!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Aren't we supposed to recycle these days?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's not so much the washing, it's the continual stream of new purchases of "technical" clothing that keep arriving that causes the contention. Along with "I hope you're not going to loose any more weight, you've only just bought those clothes".

Maybe that's the way to do it - just keep buying new stuff! No washing needed.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    lol ... I have this problem. I come back from training but won't put the clothes straing in the wash basket due to them been wet - so hang them up to dry ready for washing - once more training clothes have been added. I tend to do at least one or two washes a week so the clothes horse mounts up, along with the smell of sweat and hard work.

What I have noticed though is that most of the clothing has to be washed with non biological powder - so it all has to be done seperate anyway.

You see no one told me I had to do the washing before I started this sport ;)

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I normally wear a set of run or bike clothes at least twice or I get grief about the amount of washing. Smelling sweaty is by far the better option.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I wear stuff quite a few times before washing. However, before you all start calling me Mr. Stinky, I will say every few days I have sufficient used kit to make it worthwhile sticking it in the maching for a rinse. No soap powder, just a 30 degree splash about (bit like my local pool, then. Yuck) then a 1600rpm spin which leaves my kit freshened up and almost dry enough to wear.

Certainly cuts down on the grief I otherwise get from leaving all of my tri-kit hanging over the bannisters.

And is it just me, but the more anaerobic my training sessions are the more I seem to sweat pure ammonia? This time of year can get very smelly indeedy.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It you are well hydrated, your sweat smells less! So, that can be a measure of hydration, I suspect.

I've converted what was "the study" into my Tri Kit Room - it's not quite big enough to get a set of rollers and a bike in - without getting rid of the desk (we have two in there for home working). But it does have a wardrobe thingy (one of those frame + fabric type things) that I can keep all the kit in.

I wear it until I have a suitable quantity for washing (all the tech stuff generally wants a low temp, easy cycle) - so I tend to do it all on a 30 degree gentle cycle.

If you take it off and hang it up and let it dry well, then it isn't too bad. The smell is usually just from bacteria - which likes the warm damp conditions, so I try hard not to leave it screwed up in a ball.

Confined to the study, it is safely out of nose shot.

The Mrs commutes into the city on the train. The other day a cyclist got on. And she absolutely stank. Really rank. Mrs and other commuters were retching. I think it is antisocial to push the limits too much.

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Things like my 2XU tights, or 1000mile socks, get three or so wears before they get a wash.

They're kept in a spare room - with window open - to avoid too many comments!

An adidas base layer top I've got needs washing every time though - it reeks even after an easy run or bike.

I do try and keep the missus happy by washing her stuff (with my stinking gear!!)
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I just wear my clothes right into the shower with me and give them a rinse off. If it isn't really muddy, then just let them dry out afterwards, and while it isn't 100% clean, its 80% of the way there and certainly less odoriferous.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    back in the early 90s when i were a lad etc., I used to train for rugby twice, sometimes three times a week and play of course. Add to that once a week football (for stamina I used to kid myself) and a game of squash or two and I had a weekly washing load the size of a small whale.

My flat was basically just a large airing cupboard... kit drying on every radiator available, the bath, the sink, the kitchen table, the oven...

Maybe not surprisingly on reflection I lived alone at the time...

Tri kit is NOTHING in comparison :-)

didds

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Daily commute to work + training + teaching 2 or 3 spin classes per week, just keep on top of it, oh & have loads of kit so you don't wear it too often.