Home Chat General Chat

Story of my first triathlon - for all newbies out there

Absolutely nailed it, conehead. I seem to be coming back to a recurring theme with all the 'How can I get my first ever race absolutely spot-on perfect?' threads.... you can't. Get out there and cock it up properly. Learn for next time.

'Aqua-ruck'?? Perfect. I've renamed the swimming stroke you use in open water: 'Front Brawl'.

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    outstanding mate [;)]

enjoyed it, where can i get a copy?
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    Congrats Conehead! I was going to take a flyer and try Eton without ever having done an open-water swim. Your story has convinced me otherwise!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Yeah thanks Conehead... I'm now having a panic attack at my desk contemplating my first ever triathlon at Eton in two months time. There was me getting all cocky this morning looking at my training plan and thinking 'I'm ready for this now!'. Wind truly knocked out of my sails.

Like the 'Front Brawl' description Bopo... Guessing I won't find it so funny when I'm in it though.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    For any doubters, see attached for a picture of the 400+ members of Male Age Group Wave 3 demonstrating Front Brawl at this year's London Tri.

This has all the components you need for a mass start: to the left you will see some breast-strokers who are woefully out of position and appear to have started from the front. They will learn when the pack rolls over them; to the rear you can see a safety marshall in a canoe laughing at everybody; at the right side you can clearly see a man screaming for his life; near to the laughing marshall is a chap using closed fists to assert his right of way; finally, in the centre of the picture you will see about 200 people having a fight.

[image]local://1140/7CCEAC4B1B6941DAB67B6E9A37EC73C7.jpg[/image]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Aaaaaahhh, well that's a place I like to call home!
  • conehead, ive got to say, thanks for the laugh!! my favourite line is "– I felt a complete tit in my ‘Ironman’ wetsuit. Yeah nice one geek, a piece of litter could’ve floated round quicker than I did." briliant!

thats what i keep worrying about - i.e. if i get a that looks good, ultimately i have to live up to it!!! i didnt manage that last year, hopefully this yr i will.

by the way i notice on your first race you used elastic band pedal thing. how was it first time and did you practice?!?!?

x
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    by the way i notice on your first race you used elastic band pedal thing. how was it first time and did you practice?!?!?

C'mon conehead, pleeeeeaaase say "No, actually I tried it for the first time ever on race day". Also, did you make sure the rubber bands were long/stretchy enough that they didn't actually snap, and you did the whole bike leg with them twanging away, wondering how much energy you were losing in that rubber stretching?