Home Chat General Chat

foot position/angle/movement (on pedals)

Hi All

I am hoping you can all offer some advice on foot angle/movement during the full 360 degrees of peddling.

I think my one foot behaves differently than the other! I think my right foot tends to stay in a 'toe down' position throughout the whole 360, whereas my left tends to break between 'toe down' on the upwards stroke to 'heel down' on the downwards stroke. My main concern is my continued hamstring pain (in my left leg - outside hamstring). I get no pain at all in my right so i guess its to do with my feet. I have had a bike fit.

I have not read anything on cycling 'form' so ANY help would be gratefully received.

Thanks [8|]

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    What are your hips/pelvis doing?

You foot movement tends to be a function of your basic riding position.

[Crossing threads a bit, but maybe another advantage of a turbo is that you can do it in front of a mirror on your proper bike and look at your position]

Your pelvis wants to be nice and stable - i.e. no rocking - usually means the saddle is too high if this is the case - try it out in a lowish gear with high cadence to get a feel for what is going on.

Unless your legs are very different lengths I would suspect that this is the cause - your are a bit lopsided and rocking down on one side. Try to work on keeping the upper body completely still - only the legs should be moving - not the pelvis etc. etc.

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Cheers Jack

But i have covered this! I went for a fit and the guy lowered my seat by over an inch! To measure all he did was put his fingers on the tops of my hips, and feel for the rocking, he said it was far too high before he adjusted. So i have to assume that this is no longer the case, i was out yesterday (42k) and again today (23k), i am getting very comfy on the bike now and i only rock when putting in some hard effort.

Anything else it could be?
    If you can digitise your footage and send it to me I'll have a look for you

Conehead that's an offer i can't refuse, i'll be getting the turbo in a few days (you are aware of my enquiries!)......as soon as i get chance i'll send over a few minutes footage....would be great to get an experienced view.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    ...and while we're on the subject, I was admiring myself (!) in the mirrors in the gym t'other day while on the static bike. I was actually looking directly at the mirror, so was able to notice that my knees don't go straight up and down. As my knee comes up towards the top of the pedal stroke it gives - and I am using the technical terminology here - a bit of a wibble to one side then the other.

Both legs do it, the right more so than the left. I can't correct it for trying, not that I'm sure I even should try. I'm guessing it is probably a mechanical thing more to do with bone shape than muscle control. It's odd that my right is worse (if wibbling is a bad thing) than my left, as it is my left hip that is the wrong shape inside.

Should I be worried, or should I just spend more time looking at the fit lady on the treadmill instead of looking at myself?
    or should I just spend more time looking at the fit lady on the treadmill instead of looking at myself?

fit lady.......she will make you train harder for longer......
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    I had this problem discovered when I went for a bike fit, my left knee was up and down, nice and straight, but my right knee was all over the place. I had some shims put in my shoes to twist my foot slightly and it fixed it
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Bopo

Apparently this is a problem i have! im having physio on a hip problem at the moment and this is something that has been raised, apparently my leg wobbles when going through certain movements which has caused stress in the hip and knee area.

The problem ive had is when coming back from knee injuries ive bashed out loads of dips and leg exercises with weights but apparently this only strengthens the legs when doing a controlled movement, which running is not!

You need to keep an eye on it as it may be a sign of a problem starting.

Ive got some strength execises if you want.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Me too!

Looking in the mirror, I can see that the left leg is really nice and stable all the way through, but the right leg - the one with the knee injury has a bit of a wibble in it. This is more pronounced the more pressure there is.

Like Clarkey, I am working on the right hip as being a source of weakness - lots of glute/adductor type exercises.

When I lie on my back and relax, the right foot turns out a bit too, while the left is more pointing up - again, symptomatic of the same thing - weak hip.