Home Chat General Chat

Newbie basic question!

Hi folks,

I think this is an excellent forum and enjoy the threads and the views and debate they generate….so tentatively I ask my first question…..(apologies it so basic[8|]!)

The splashing up and down the pool, thrashing down the local dual carriageway on my bike and running round the block are about to be put to the test…in two weeks (29th March) I will be competing in my first triathlon! (East Leake - 400m swim, 20km bike, 5km run.) Very excited and nervous!

Read the rules, thought about what I will wear and practiced my transitions - but one detail I am not sure about is what do I write my race number on my legs with?

Should I take along a marker pen to deface my highly (not) trained legs (hairy!) or is it normal for the organisers to do (inflict) this for me?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    They should do it

However you can buy a pen from you local shop for a couple of quid.( just in case)

There is a list of what you need to take somewhere i will try and find and post it for you.

It helped me loads

good luck
  • Thanks Jelly Legs - thats helpful. Any additional info much appreciated!

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    I could not find the one i was looking for, but here is another i found

[url]http://ezinearticles.com/?Triathlon-Gear---What-to-Bring-to-Your-First-Triathlon&id=1531116[/url]

Its got all the important stuff on there anyway
  • Thanks Jelly Legs for the link - I will try to make sure I have (I hope) all the bases covered! As Conehead suggests, I guess the only way I will find out is when I actually compete for the first time.

Conehead - thanks for the plug, I will check your book out - I am always willing/want (needing to?) to learn from other people's experiences.

Thanks for your support,

Tripehound

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Blimey! These newbie questions get ever more esoteric!

Actually, I'm just embarrassed that I didn't think to ask all these questions before my first ever race. The first time I'd heard of race numbering was when I registered for my first Sprint Tri many years ago and a nice lady started drawing on me.

Enjoy your first tri. Here's to many more! [:D]
  • have a great race - you will love it. I had no idea what I was doing, so much so that a lovely marshall at the east grinstead try a tri had to stick my numbers on my helmet and bike as I wasn't even sure where they were meant to go (and yes, obviously I could have read the race instructions about that bit but was so nervous about the swim I couldn't think any further ahead than that!)
  • PogsPogs Posts: 3
    Make sure they don't come at you with a permanent marker pen, I have been trying unsuccessfully to get a black number 7 off my right hand for the past week! After the millionth "Ruth why is there a 7 on your hand" it's a little grating!
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i feel so let down. after years and years of racing i've only had 2 races where my number was put on my body. i love it when it gets done, it's like a badge of honour!
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I remember being really disappointed when my numbers faded last season! I bore everyone silly with my exploits in my first tri.

blurredgirl
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    moisturise before being drawn on...comes off easier. Not JUST before or the poor 'volunteer' won't be able to write anything, but before leaving home should do it.
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Hands up who thinks coneheads posts should start to be treated as spam?

[:D][:D]