Home Chat General Chat

Oil drilling project in Leith hill

if you feel that the area around Dorking, boxhill and leith hill are pretty and the traffic is already a bit too heavy. Planning applications have been put in for an exploratory drilling platform on leith hill next to coldharbour. you can sign up to the petition in objection to this.

http://www.thevirtu alvillage. com/oilwell. cfm

Hope we could all stop it,

Jean-Louis

Comments

• bobraynerbobrayner Posts: 27
    Nimby.

Where do you think oil comes from? It doesn't magically fall out of the sky.

Don't you use any oil?

• I do even if I don't have a car... But I still use plastic, the bus or the train... I can't avoid it, I'm totally agree.

Once say that, You would probably (or not!) agree with me that the amount of oil that could be found in surrey doesn't worth the environamentle cost that this project would envolve.

On a more selfish side, I would also like to keep my cycling area as quiet as posible... And I'm sure I'm not the only one with this idea.

My purpose is not to argue on the utility of Oil (got my own opinion on it already) but on the fact that an area used by a number of us for leisure could be damaged.

JL

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    "Once say that, You would probably (or not!) agree with me that the amount of oil that could be found in surrey doesn't worth the environamentle cost that this project would envolve."

Do you have some kind of insight into the amount of oil that could be found in Surrey? Or is that the completely pointless statement it appears to be?
  • It's "completely pointless statement"... I'm agree

But should I feel gulty to want to keep this nice area quiet when all the rest of London is so busy an inadequate for cycling?

Do you enjoy cycling and being pass by trucks and cars?

Maybe you do enjoy that... I don't...

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

I guess that ultimately decisions like these come down to commercial decisions. (Remember the Newbury bypass? Even Swampy and his tree dwelling chums went in the end)

On the upside, new projects will have to include things like environmental impact assessments, and although locals may not be able to stop a project which could be key (imagine if they did find a lot of oil or gas - the government would be falling over themselves to license the extraction!), they may be able to limit its impact.
  • bobraynerbobrayner Posts: 27
    nivagh wrote:

I guess that ultimately decisions like these come down to commercial decisions. (Remember the Newbury bypass? Even Swampy and his tree dwelling chums went in the end)

On the upside, new projects will have to include things like environmental impact assessments, and although locals may not be able to stop a project which could be key (imagine if they did find a lot of oil or gas - the government would be falling over themselves to license the extraction!), they may be able to limit its impact.

The application in question involves extensive environmental impact assessment:

http://tinyurl.com/c9pfhc

Strangely, this hasn't been mentioned in any of the nimby posts that I've seen (it's popped up elsewhere, not just on this forum).

Heaven forbid that somebody might actually want to use their property to provide useful resources and contribute to the economy!

(edited to fix broken link)