Home Chat General Chat

How much water do you drink?!

Ive been having a problm lately with sheer thirst. I have always thought i drink a lot of water but recently this has seemed to increase! im especially thirsty after swimming and last night i got through two bottles in an hour turbo session.

firstly do you think thats a lot?? secondly how much does everyone else drink through the day? x

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    What size bottles? I normally drink 800ml during a swim session.

I developed a similar problem this time last year and became constantly dehydrated and had to stop treadmill running as I would overheat to quickly. I need to drink about 4-5 litres per day, mostly with/after meals. Went to the doctors to get checked out (diabetes was my concern) and seems everything was fine. Any gym based or stationary activity makes my sweat heaps now so I just drink plenty, although if i'm out running or cycling I tend to be fine.
  • SamRSamR Posts: 19
    Hi, I used to get a dry mouth swimming but now always take my bottle (750ml) and drinking it throughout the seeions seems to solved the problem.

I also normally drink around 2-3 litres of water a day (it's pretty much the only think I drink). As long as you urine passes the 'colour' test everything should be ok.

• yeah probs around 800mls, its a zoggs bottle for swimming i think they only do one size! but its gotten to the stage where if i dont have water for say an hour during the day because am busy i get a horrible thirst and i then drink like ive just finished a few miles on the treadmill!!! x
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I drink loads! Always have done. A big cup of coffee in the morning. Then water. Probably 3 - 4 litres a day. About the only thing I also drink is beer/wine!

One reason for this is that I get migraines. If I get dehydrated, tired, exercise, with fluorescent lighting, then I will get one. They are horrible (blindness, viomiting, pain) that you learn to avoid them, One thing I do is stay very hydrated all the time. Fortunately, I don't get them that often now, as I've learned to control them.

I don't have diabetes!

If I am exercising, then I will drink a lot more.

Weighing yourself before and after exercise can be useful to tell how much water you've lost - any weight loss will be mainly water. A pint of water weighs about 2lbs.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I'm also particularly sweaty in indoor environments and consume about 250ml every 15 minutes, so not far off what you are taking for the hour swim.

Also, try to get through 3 litres each day as well. Alternativel, cordial is the way forward as I prefer something with a little taste to it.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Hey Jack, fellow migraine sufferer here. Always put mine down to tiredness/stress and food triggers. Will try drinking more water now though as I've never really thought that was the cause. Had four this year already, more than I had all the previous year which would definitely connect with the increase in exercise I've been doing which could have lead to dehydation and migraine.

Fingers crossed! Maaan this forum never fails to surprise me.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    3 litres is about right for me, but maybe more if I'm doing say a run in the morning and a weight session later in the day. Lie SamR says, I know I'm on the right track if the pee test says so.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278

Mate i'm always drinking, never keep a count of it really tho.

I know from experiance that if my urine is either clear of just of clear i'm hydrated enough and if not i just drink another bottle.

Its very rare to drink to much and if your thirsty the body is telling you that its ok to drink.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    was doing a CTS training dvd this morning and during it the guy said to consume 1-2 bottles of fluid during the one hour training sesion, so you're right on the money!

i'm drinking less water this year as i got so little sleep last year cos i was constantly waking up to go to the loo. like 4 times a night! i'm only drinking about 2 liters a day, but still clear urine. also, dont forget that fruit and veg contain a lot of water so if you are eating well you're gettting some of your fluid intake from that
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I believe it is best to drink to thirst, particularly when exercising. apparently the 'X glasses per day' figure is another 220-age made up number.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I drink loads , especially when swimming.........[&:]
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Probably about 4-5 litres in a day, and i always get up once in the night to have a wee so i try not to drink too late in the evening. Last monday i was off work with a bug type thing. Couldn't eat ALL day (amazing, i love food) but drank about ten litres of water. My skin was fantastic in the morning! Really baby soft and i looked five years younger.

Drinking water helps me to feel full too, essential for dropping those pounds in my case!