Home Chat General Chat

Hiring a wetsuit, 1st season

md6md6 Posts: 969
Hi there, this is my first tri season and I am looking at doing a small open water event at the end of the season (29th September) which i will need a wetsuit for. I will have 2 sprints under my belt by then (Crystal palace and henley) which are both pool based. My question is, should I hire a wetsuit for this event now, despite everywhere i've seen wanting them before my event (triuk state 11th Sept)? Wait until after the sprints and decide if i want to buy one? Or wait until nearer the time, and then look to hire one (hoping that lots will have been returned to and i might get a better deal - but not have time to train properly in it?

What does everyone think?

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Try this one out:

http://www.orca-wetsuits-for-hire.co.uk/hire.html

I used it last year and I didnt have to send it back until post September, if I remember rightly. In the end i decided to keep it anyway, as it is a bit of a bargain. The only downside is you have to stump up the full amount upfront - you then claim back half if you send it back in good working order.

Definately try to get out in the open water, with a wetsuit on. It is a lot different - as you will see if you check out some of the other threads. If nothing else it stops you feeling totally disoriented and you'll know what to expect. You can also practice taking the damn thing off...

If you don't want to hire just yet - you could try the open water venues themselves. When I did my first openwater tri, I went to Datchet lake and they let you hire for free for the day.

Hope this helps.
  • starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    hi md6 I hired a suit from Triuk last year and the service was excellent and they managed to get the fit as damn near perfect as possible over the phone cos i was far to lazy to drive 200 miles to try 1 on, i would call them explain and ask if you can return it after the event. They are good guys down there I kept mine and its still going strong but its getting a bit big now as they weight comes off.

Hope that helps mate

Mat

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Thanks guys, I will give triuk a call tomorrow and see what they say. I guess i will have to weigh/measure myself now