Home Chat General Chat

Acommodation for the UK 70.3

Hi all

Has anyone got any tips for where to stay on Exmorr for the 70.3???

Having looked at the race website the choice seems a touch thin on the ground!

Has anyone camped there before?

Thanks

I.

Comments

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I was thinking about going the camping route, but really was kind of unsure. There's about a 95% chance of rain there at any given time and I never sleep all that well in a tent instead of a real bed.

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I was thinking similar although I never really sleep properly prior to a race anyway...

• CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Hey guys, yeah there is a campsite just up the road from the starting line.I will be staying there, you have to booma minimum of 3 nights and they have an ironman special offer on.£25 pp for the duration. Just gonna take a matress and chuck it down to sleep on and sleep in a few layers.Cross your fingers for no rain though.Cant imagine that being too much fun.Let me know if you need the phone number to book the campsite. Cant wait for the race now. Its gonna be my first one and im pretty excited/scared!
    CPT333 wrote:

Hey guys, yeah there is a campsite just up the road from the starting line.I will be staying there, you have to booma minimum of 3 nights and they have an ironman special offer on.£25 pp for the duration. Just gonna take a matress and chuck it down to sleep on and sleep in a few layers.Cross your fingers for no rain though.Cant imagine that being too much fun.Let me know if you need the phone number to book the campsite. Cant wait for the race now. Its gonna be my first one and im pretty excited/scared!

Yea that number would be excellent. Looks highly likely for a camping weekend which could end up being pretty fun if the weather cooperates.

• CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Hey danny. The number is for the swlakes trust. Its 01398 371460 and obviously refers to the Wimbleball Lake site. Im going up on the thursday night and leaving sunday night.

Look forward to seeing you there.Hows your training going? What sort of hours are you putting in at the moment?

CPT333
  • If your worried about the rain rig up a tarp over your tent and bike and kit, its more windproof and waterproof. Also for sleeping, provided you have a car, this is the boy you want http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16215&category_id=253

Fat Airic. Youll think your own a cloud.

As for the Tarp well you can get them at B&Q, tooledup.co.uk or survivalschool.org if you want a camo number. [;)]

Thanks a lot for that!

Training's going pretty smooth for the most part, I'm doing a running schedule recommended me by a friend who's quite competitive at half marathons going 5 miles, 10, 5, 10, rest, 15, rest with the 5's being intervals or tempo workouts. Swimming, I'm just trying to get in 4-5m a week focusing on technique in the pool (preferably on the 5 mile run or rest days).

My biking is just gone to crap though, and every time I'm in the saddle for more than 2 hours I end up with a completely shot back the rest of the day and probably the following one. I've moved the seat/stem/handlebars, changed my cadence and it's not getting better yet. Hopefully a proper bike fitting I've got scheduled for next week will help. All in all it totals about 14 hours per week right now, but I hope to bring that up towards 18 after Easter through May.

Thanks for the advice re:Fat Airic, but I've got an inflatable mattress that I can actually sleep like a baby on, so probably will stick with that and spend more money on other crap I don't need instead.

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    The phone number for Wimbleball camp site is [color=#000080]01398 371257, that the tea rooms, who are taking the bookings. You'll probably not sleep the night before regardless so may as well be closer to the start I guess.....[/color]

[color=#000080]As CPT333 says its a 3 night minimum booking for ironman week but if you are going up before for a recce (do it-it's terrifying!) then you can book single nights[/color]