Home Chat General Chat

Cleat Alignment

Have got my first pair of clipless pedals and shoes(Look Delta £12 FROM eBAY & New Wave shoes £30 down from £70) , well impressed, but have read in 220 that incorrect aligned cleats are a sure thing for injury.

Is it just a case of adjusting them until they "Feel" right or is there a more scientific way?

Comments

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    again no expert but from the physio with regards to injury your feet position on the bike should resemble your natural foot position.

I was told to sit on something so my feet would dangle, the natural way they feel, (inside for me as i pronate quite badly) should be the way you set your bike up.

I think most will tell you this but get a proper fitting and if you are having physio through your knee injury get your physio to take a look, its what theyre paid for.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Basic set up for cleats is:

They should point straight, unless your feet twist naturally (test by sitting on a table with your feet dangling, you want your cleats to basically be straight from there

The middle of the cleat (usually marked by a line on the side of it) should be on the ball of you foot

Should be in the middle of your shoe

But as above, a proper fitting will find any changes you need to make from the above
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Is it just a case of adjusting them until they "Feel" right or is there a more scientific way?

great question, and one that i too would like to have answered!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    well yeah, basically you need to feel comportable, as above if your feet naturally face inwards then this is the natural position they sit in.

Your body being in discomfort is its way of telling you something is not right
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    Cheers guys, will find a high table (I'm 6' 5")
  • The ProfThe Prof Posts: 37
    Never had any real problems from mine, although, somehow, and not sure if anyone else has managed this, but I actually bent my cheapo Shimano SPDs after ~ 4 years of use, and I only noticed when I got on a friends bike and my foot motion felt totally weird. The bearings were still ok (ish)! My foot had got used to the strange side to side / circular movement.

Obviously changed them since!