Home Chat General Chat

High heart rate

I've never done much structured training, just usually a bit of cycling an occassional swim and run. However, since I've entered Ironman UK I'm following Dom Finks competitive programme. I seem to be able to get my heart rate much higher and find it easier to get to this higher rate than last season - is this expected with more training as shouldn't I be getting faster but my heart rate remaining the same because it's becoming more efficient?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    The opposite should be true - as you get fitter and more efficient, it should be harder to get your heart rate up...

How are you measuring your heart rate? With an HRM?

What is your perceived level of effort - if you're need breathing that heavily, but your heart rate is shown as high.

Are you overtired/overtraining? Do you have a cold/virus? How long does it take for you heart rate to come down.

All sorts of things come to mind. You do have to be careful with this sort of thing - take medical advice if things are unusual.
  • revershedrevershed Posts: 49

Using a HRM (garmin 305), I'm not breathing at all heavily and I'm feeling stronger and fit, if anything it feels easier, possibly more enclined to think that its the HR monitor mis-reporting (I run in the country so I there shouldn't be any interference).

It reported my max heart rate as 208 on Sunday's run with an average of 167 - which I know is about 20bpm too high for the exertion levels I was at. Thinking about it, it only seems to report high when I'm using it for running not cycling.

Hmm...think I might change the batteries in the chest strap and see where that takes me.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    OK, it does sound like an error.

I have a 405 which is essentially the same as the 305 - it will from time to time give crazy readings. Which is annoying. Yesterday, I had a reading of 225 while going down a hill on the bike. Polar seems better in this respect!

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Jack Hughes wrote:

OK, it does sound like an error.

I have a 405 which is essentially the same as the 305 - it will from time to time give crazy readings. Which is annoying. Yesterday, I had a reading of 225 while going down a hill on the bike. Polar seems better in this respect!

My polar does this as well, normally at the start of a run. Try moistening it with some water (ideally a little salty) to improve the conduction.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Just bumping this thread.

I bought a HRM a couple of months ago. I haven't got round to doing a proper max HR test. I guessed that 187 (I'm 33) was too low.

This week I did the tri club track session which involved lots of shorter distances and encouragement from the coaches for us to pick our speed up. The last run was 200M which I put absolutely everything I had into. Not a proper max HR test but I reckon I can't have been far off as I can't envisage working harder!

Anyhow, the HRM had my max heart rate for the session at 229. This seems really high. I wasn't ill or tired, I enjoyed the session, I felt good afterwards and my HR came back down fine. I don't think the HRM was misreading.

I'm just curious as to what other people's maximum HR is and whether I should be concerned? I realise heart rates aren't the be all and end alll of training tools.
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I too am 33 and I work to 187, which works pretty well for me. To be truthful I have difficulty getting my HR over 180. However my standing HR is about 52 (being 6' 5" and a low heartrate like that gives me plenty of Light Headed moments - doc said is fine though - not unusual)
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i'm 29 and can get my HR up to 197 when doing hill sprints, not stratospheric, but above 220-age
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55

The "220 - age" rule of thumb includes an error range of + and - 11 beats each way... Thus for a 29 year old, the HR max could be anything between 180 and 202 according to this formula and this STILL doesn't account for the individual's level of fitness, activity, etc...