Home Chat General Chat

2 bikes Is it worth it?

I have a ladies Range Rover bike, a bit like a mountain bike but with smaller tyres, mud guards basket on the front etc. I use this every day to go to work, but its not suitable for triathlons, so I have purchased a proper racing bike. I still use my work bike to go to work, its hard going and after 20 minutes up and down hill I have had enough. On my racing bike I can go for miles no problem. The question is - is it worth still using my heavy day bike, do I gain any benefit from it? Will it help to build my stamina or should I get rid and just use the racing bike?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Yes!

It's the same principle as having separate racing shoes from training shoes. You get a huge psychological boost when you put the lighter ones on, or switch from your heavy training bike to the lighter one.

You also save your racing bike from too much damage/wear and tear etc.

• i agree with conehead, plus variety is great and you can sometimes have more fun bashing around on a non racing bike. i have a mountain bike which actually has more gears than my cheap racing bike!! and i still love going out on it just for the thrill of being able to hop over kerbs whenever i feel, or cutting across the odd field.

and no doubt it will do your training the world of good. x
  • I plan to still use my trusty hybrid with its panniers and tonnage when I do (eventually) get my shiny bike - yes the 4 miles to work may be harder but my hybrid is hopefully less likely to get nicked outside workplace than something very shiny...
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I am currently trying to convince the wife that a fourth bike is needed.

The line up will be-

carbon race/tt/tri bike,

ally winter frame with full guards,

MTB for local village trundles with the wife,

Fixed gear with full guards (this is what i am trying to buy at the moment)

I want the fixed gear as i am tired of replacing components in the winter, but i dont want to get rid of my ally winter trainer as it will be needed for the group slogs in the winter i do. I can hardly see myself doing the exmoor beast on a fixie/carbon..... maybe i will get a triple as well?........ see, i actually need more then four bikes.

• i am still cycling around with my water bottels full of gravel and water. i also have wrist weights on the cross bar, giving an extra weight of 1 stone to the bike.

and im not taking them off till my ironman,and i will have lighter wheels also.

should be fun.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    You can never have too many bikes
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    treefrog wrote:

You can never have too many bikes

Treefrog would have titled this thread "Only two bikes is life worth it?" [;)]