Home Chat General Chat

What and who was the most random thing that blasted past you in a race?

I was passed on the bike leg of the Warwickshire sprint tri last October by an old-ish guy in full on Superman get up. Right down to a little red cape and the underpants-on-outside-of-leggings look!

Comments

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Although not mine, my boss (cyclist who keeps challenging me to a race) was on a one day welsh race hammering along in a lead group, a la tour de france, up a reletively steep incline when an old boy on a fully loaded tourer in baggy shorts and t-shirt came sailing past seemingly effortless and pulled away into the distance!

He says he couldve been whistling enjoying the morning sunshine, except he couldnt get near enough to hear.
  • batman no sign of robin though!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Not a triathlon, but in my first half marathon, I was passed by a guy wearing a full ballerina costume carrying a magic wand and a silvery/pink veil which trailed along behind him. He was wearing slippers and out-sprinted me to the finish.

In my first triathlon, I was in one of the last waves to go out, and on one of the short but intense hills, here comes a guy on a collapsable commuting bike just FLYING by. The wheels on those things make them amazing climbers, but come any downhill or flat and the guy was stationary to the rest. Had to respect him for racing anyway though. Makes me feel silly about wanting to get a new bike all the time instead of just being out there for the fun of it.

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Jenson Button (after I beat him on the swim)....well it was a bit random!
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    A couple of years ago during the Dublin marathon a guy in a three piece suit, top hat and suit shoes flew past me at the 18 mile marker reading out loud from the bible. I tried to keep up (mainly to make sure I wasn't seeing things) but I couldn't manage his pace!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Hopefully someone will put

"a bloke on a hybrid bike in a pair of swimming shorts with the front split open"

I know I overtook some people [:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Saw some guys on Raleigh Choppers going the other way at the London Tri a few years ago.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    In the London Tri last year, just as you came back towards the Excel centre after passing Canarf Wharf an ambulance went storming past me all guns blazing. Got to the junction where it had to turn but was caught the wrong side of the cones so slammed the anchors on............ with me almost piling into the back of it. Little man popped out, moved a cone and drove through.

Meanwhile, a bike marshall was chasing me down as I'd skipped through the cones passed the amublance and continued the ride. Apparantly, I should have stopped for the ambulance and waited till it had gone.......... [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m7.gif[/image]
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    London sprint tri last year - literally everyone on the swim whilst I had my first ever panic attack. Ended up clutching a canoe and pointing at my non-breathing face, mouthing 'hhhheeelllp mmeeeee'

blurredgirl
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I saw a bloke on a hybrid with his swim shorts torn open at the front, you probably had to get much closer to see anything though, was hung like action-man..... [:D][:D][:D]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Xyzee_uk wrote:

I saw a bloke on a hybrid with his swim shorts torn open at the front, you probably had to get much closer to see anything though, was hung like action-man..... [:D][:D][:D]

Yeah and I was so quick you only had milliseconds to see anything anyway"! These are the kinds of lies I like [:D]
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    eamonn wrote:

Nothing ever passes me![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m11.gif[/image]

I admire your honesty. I guess someone has to bring up the rear. You could try going flat out at the start, then perhaps you might manage to get ahead of someone, if only for a bit.
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I wasnt passed by this person but it was amazing. Going down a long straight road one morning, howling headwind that almost stops you dead. Was probably somebody's mother, on a full sus MTB, nobbly flat tyres, about 6 carrier bags full of shopping hanging off the bar. I clawed my way up behind her and matched the speed just out of sheer curiosity.... 19mph!!! Probably helped by the flywheel/momentum, but you gotta wind the gear up in the first place.

I felt like asking her to swap bikes and see how fast she could go on the road bike! Some real heroes out there [;)]
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    I admire your honesty. I guess someone has to bring up the rear. You could try going flat out at the start, then perhaps you might manage to get ahead of someone, if only for a bit.
    Yip,that`s me at the back.Even when I go flat out at the start>
  • sevenspudsevenspud Posts: 45
    [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/upfiles/1933/E58CF9714A4640FCA896C0CB1D48D541.jpg[/image]

Copyright Starcher 2009.

Think this guy passed me on way to a free buffet
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    2005 one of my first 10kms in Southampton - finished in around 50 mins. I tried to hold onto the guy in front for the first 3-4 km. He was quick, determined, had tunnel vision. He was walking.