Home Chat General Chat

My inner tube hell

In the last 2 weeks I've had 2 inner tubes just go "pop" while my bike was stationary (just after inflating tyres to ~120psi). Add to this an unfixable punture today, plus the valve snapping on my spare tube (both out on a ride & miles from home!) and I'm not having the best of relationships with my wheels at the moment.

This has all happened since I took my turbo tyre off and fitted a new set of Conti Gatorskins so it seems to be down to something I'm doing.

I've been changing tubes on my MTB for years and never had anything like this so any advice or suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong are welcome,

Comments

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I think I might have - I'd only just closed the QR skewer when it went pop, and once I'd got the tube off again there was a ~6 inch gash in the tube not just a hole.

Think I will run my tyres at a slightly lower pressure too, went out for 2h today on somwhere between 100/110psi and everything as hunky-dory.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Assume you have some decnt rim tape? that got me for a while when I first started.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    You beat me to it, Barny. I kept getting spontaneous punctures on the inner edge of my tubes, with funny rounded bumps all the way around. Spending more than 99p on some decent rim tape fixed the problem a treat.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    This sort of stuff then... [color=#800080]http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Rim_Tape/5360036608/[/color]

I’ve not changed what came with the original wheels (Mavic Aksiums). Do I need to rip the old stuff off, or can this just sit over the top of it?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    As my tape was well worn I just taped over the old one with no ill effect.If all the punctures appear at the same place,or reoccur even with new tape your wheel could have a hairline fracture which opens under weight or flexing from the road surface.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Dunno about the continental strap thing - I go for the "Velox Rim Tape" from wiggle - Bombproof and solved my woes!