Home Chat General Chat

Open water - Starting to soil myself!

Ok have read a few threads about doing your first Tri and it seems that the open water swim is the most different (from normal training) of the three disciplines. I love the aqua-ruck and front-brawl

I am now really nervous about it and the only way to deal with this is head on!

So the question is does anyone know of a place near sheffield where I can throw on a wetsuit and get used to it all? There are tonnes of resevoirs near me but they all say no swimming (even though they have sailing clubs on them?) - My rebellious streak says just go do it! Advise?

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I'm yet to take the open water plunge myself, but I am holding out for some locally organised events. If you're contemplating taking to a resevoir or in fact any open water by yourself then in all seriousness... please don't. I'm sure even the best swimmers on here would agree.

Try these out for some information. I'm sure they'll be able to help or point you in the right direction for some local groups or events. Good luck!

[color=#008000]www.sheffieldtriclub.com[/color]

http://www.openwaterswim.co.uk/

[color=#008000][/color]

• Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    Guys, Thanks for the advise, I'll stay away from open water until I get to an organised event! The problem with us ooop north is you need more padding on the inside of your head to keep it warm - it leaves less room for brains tho!!

Conehead - you must be getting really bored of pasting in that 10 point plan !! [:D][:D]

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I always think that the difficulty with open water swimming isn't the, well, open-ness of it. Rather it is the lack of visibility and the proximity of other swimmers upsetting your natural rythmn.

Going out for a swim in a lake with a small group of other swimmers will address part of the problem; that of sighting. You can practice this in a pool by simply shutting your eyes when your face is in the water, then lifting your head slightly and opening your eyes to see where you are going before shutting them again.

To get used to swimming with others, maybe if you go out with the local tri-club they will try to bunch up to simulate this. Again, you can do this in a pool by getting two or three mates into the same lane as you, all treading water horizontally. When somebody says GO you all charge to the other end, learning what it is like to swim with somebody else's elbow in your face.

It is a tough thing to prepare for, as the only way to really simulate race-day is to actually race. I'm sure there are many seasoned open-water racers who still think "Oh crap, here we go again" every time they hear that klaxon.

I am naturally at home in the water. Swimming is my favourite and best discipline and to be honest I am happier in water than I am on land. I have been plowing up and down swimming pools for more years than I would care to remember. Saying all that, I still find the start of an open-water event to be a very unsettling place.
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    There is a few places localy to sheffield you can open water swim, you can along to wakefield tri club on saturday morning at 8 am and they will welcome you with open arm's and they swim in a good lake which is used in lot's of local events or you can come along to adwick tri club (doncaster) we will start open water swimming after easter and we swim 3 nights a week.

Another alternative is sheffield tri club I am sure they will have somewhere local that they use and clubs are always looking for new people

But I am with the resgt of the guys don't swim on your own or somewhere that is not insured.

But open water swimming is fun and even better in groups

enjoy
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    Thanks pacman! Wakefield are the easiest for me so will try them.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Anybody else nervous about open water??

Check this out: http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2009/03/shark-circles-hundreds-of-racers-in-sydney.html

Heard this feature makes you swim faster without any training at all!!![8D]
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    benny wrote:

Anybody else nervous about open water??

Check this out: http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2009/03/shark-circles-hundreds-of-racers-in-sydney.html

Heard this feature makes you swim faster without any training at all!!![8D]

I certainly set a new PB when I was chased by a baracuda a couple years ago on holiday.
  • i hate the idea of swimming in the big loch near my home, we used to fish for congar eels in there, and those things are dangerous enough out of the water, i remember an angler got dragged in and taken for a short trip (circa 1km) in a loch join not too far from us. When they found the one that did that, it was about 8ft long (apparantly - i only read about it in the news paper). The 5ft ones we used to catch didnt die even if you beheaded them