Home Chat General Chat

Stitch!

As I am increasing my time running I am finding I am getting a really bad stitch, sometimes as early as 10 mins in. Should I just run through it or is there something I can do to avoid it?

Comments

• when you eating before you run? and what?

I always get problems if i have dairy before my run.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    We've had this before

Synopsis: 90% Breathing, 10% Running too soon after eating.
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I find i cant eat or drink at least an hour before running.
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    generally as a rule I dont eat up to 2hrs before I run, and i find if I am getting a stitch its generally due to my not concentrating on my breathing enough.

remember in thru the nose and out thru the mouth, if your stitch appears just focus on that and it should go.

Start steady on your training runs, dont let it to start with as this can cause it too.

Also shallow breathing can help

check this out for info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_stitch
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    run through it mate, eventually after no time at all you wont get them.

Dont stop running tho
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    i should add that we humans only use about ( AND I'M NOT POSITIVE ABOUT NUMBERS), 20 % of what out bady can actually do, its only in extreme conditions that people push on and are amazed at what they are capable of.

However everyone is capable of more, but we just give up all to easy, me included.

Your body will get used to what exersion you put it through, dont let your body control you, you control it.

Its a mind thing !!!
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    Thanks guys,

When it happens I hadn't eaten for about an hour, so I'll try the breathing thing (in nose out mouth), failing that beat my body into submission and run through!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I notice in the wikipedia article that the first suggestion for preventing stitch is "Improve fitness"...

Off you go, then.[:D]