Home Chat General Chat

yet another one for the ladies

okay girls,

bit of a serious one here. has anyone ever had problems training outdoors? in my brief one and a half seasons in triathlon i have been pushed off bike by drunken loon, shouted at a million ties from cars, been tooted at by vans (which i kinda ignore and am not so bothered about) but worryingly have also had cars slow down on purpose as they drive past and if its a quiet street or there just happens to be very little traffic around it has started making me quite jumpy to be running (more than cycling) out in the fresh air. i do use a treadmill but its just not the same.

the other day a taxi slowed down in front of me as i was coming to a crossing and then totally stopped in front of me so i had to run around the front of it to cross. the driver wasnt waiting for anyone as sped off afterwards, and there was no traffic.no reason for him to do it. does this sort of stuff ever bother anyone else and has anyone got a way to deal with it!? Like i say i can handle shouts and beeps from cars but it does make me jumpy when you get them kerb crawling! i really dont want to confine myself to a treadmill

xx

Comments

• No, never happened to me...probably too many wobbly bits...[:)]

A bit creepy though.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    my problem is more likely to be vagrant sheep and teenagers on quads oh yes and tractors with doubtful brakes trying to take the paint off my bike - however I was a city girl once and would recommend and still do

speed dial 1 on my mobile is 999 - even if out of range of signal will still send a signal

ensure everyone knows where I'm going and when I intend to be back

stick to lighted areas - in my dreams can't remember the last time I saw a street light on one of my runs

record car numbers that curb crawl on your text and then have a discussion with your local bobbie

go take some classes for extraction manoeuvres rather than self defense - for my sins I'm a brown belt in karate and some of those skills for getting out of situations rather than kicking the s**t out of someone helps to make you feel more confident so you look more confident which in turn puts off the b*****ds[:D]
  • As usual, devils advocate, carry a knife :| no one will expect a girl to be carrying one and itll get you out of a tight spot pretty quick.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    comanighttrain .... not a useful post - even if in jest.

godluvsatrier - I am a bloke and i still get the local Chavs slowing down cutting me up on the bike and beeping the horn and shouting when I am running. Its just an unfortunate part of living in modern times - its usually just because they are bored and have nothing better to do.

When out on a run once I saw the same chavmobile driving 3 times down a side road - he was trying to bait me but you just have to ignore it - as said above make sure that someone know were you are going and for how long - take your mobile - and change your route often, even if its only reversing your route. Keep your wits about you and don't use an MP3 player when running.
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    godluvsatrier!

I joined a running club, this allows me to I feel safer running in a group and you still get the odd n*bhead who thinks he can outrun you ( well 40 of us!) but they soon get bored.

Believe me, when the dark looong nites came in, my running came to an end cos I was worried ( and wouldnt) run alone. Besides which, nutters are about during the day too. See if you can joing a local club and train with them, its so comforting running in a group that will wait for you if you are slower than them, but at the same time who are actually decent people with a likeminded hobby.

It has brought my running on no end also.

good luck chick and remember that most of the losers who give us stick for wanting stay fit and not be lardies at home watching telly are just jealous and wish they could do. be a little smug about that :-)

Good luck with it.

• i have never thought of actually just telling someone im going out on a run, because am living on own atthe mo. im going to start texting my folks now i guess its as simple as that - thanks for the suggestion!

and meakie - i lov the idea of running club. again i hadnt really though it for safety before and never got round to it but have searched on google and found one near me that trai twice a week, that only leaves one session to do alone and i can use tread for that. fantastic advice, thank you everyone.

x

oh and cantdoitbutwilltri - i wish it was because of wobbly bits but im quite skinny and not overly endowed in that area so its certainly not boobs they're ogling!! [:)]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Haven't got a lot to add to this thread, but it does make me deeply sad.

But, GLaT, you are not alone: a friend of mine has even been spat on as she perfectly innocently made her way along the pavement (fortunately, nothing worse). It seems to be more of a problem in cities though. It's absolutely nothing to do with you, but everything to do with them (you even get some of the "ooh a woman, point and giggle" type attitude on this forum, I've noticed).

For personal safety although I'm more worried about having a heart attack, or breaking a leg), I always let someone know my route (I actually have a print out of a map pinned to the noticeboard, as the missus has trouble taking my complex geographical and topological descriptions in [:)], and I always give an idea of how long I expect to be. If running, I don't like to carry too much - but take some ID (I keep meaning to get a nice SoS bracelet/dog tag type thing, but haven't got around to it). For the Bike, because you are more likely to break down, I take a phone and a small amount of cash if I'm going to be further than a walk/run from home. Again, I make sure I've told someone my route, and stick to it.

If it's any consolation, I would feel nervous about running through a city - I tend to stick to main routes, well lit etc. when I'm away from home.

A club / training buddy sounds like a great idea.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sad but true, all the comments. Lady Britspin comes back from runs on odd occasions spitting feathers because some neanderthal has followed/commented/obstructed etc. Hence a seldom running on her own scenario, mostly club training altho she does run from where I teach spinning whilst I teach, but in a small loop which I do know & know how long it takes her.

I am trying to get a group going from my workplace for novice/fun runners & so far have no takers, despite having several women ask recently about doing the lung run/marie curie run/race for life etc.

Sad to say as mentioned above us chaps get abuse too, when cycling 2 seems to be the optimum number for abuse, aggressive driving, horn sounding etc, less when on my own & even less when 3 or more running I try to avoid kids leaving school times, failed miserably last night when tripped up by a sodding dalmation.
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    @ Jack Hughes. Don't need fancy bracelets or dog tags. As a cheap and practical alternative - I've taped my business card and my boyfriend's together back to back and wrapped round with sticky tape (to make it sweat-proof of course). Actually wrote "Me" and "My Boyfriend" on the cards respectively and have made it a point to always take with me as I would my running watch or HR monitor

@ godluvsatrier. Don't let it put you off. One thing that might help is to always against the flow of traffic. That way cars can't really kerb crawl up behind you or at least are separated somewhat by the rest of the road and there's actually less time for them to act...
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I sympathise completely. This is the main reason why my wife doesn't run outside by herself. Wolf whistles and shouts about her body size (she's only a size 10 for chrissakes!) have succeeded in confining her to the gym unless I'm out with her.

A baseball bat is too good for these pathetic losers.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Out on the bike I had some youths point an air rifle at me once. It was on a cycle path in the country so I think they may not have been breaking any laws having the air rifle, probably they were by pointing it at me. They were doing it to dog walkers on the path too. They were mostly messing about and not seriously threatening to shoot anyone - they were after rabbits and/or road signs I think. Still unpleasant though. I called the police once I got a safe distance away, I assume the police did bugger all.

Out running fortunately I have so far had no hassle, and I've been running on and off for a few years. I run mostly on busy streets with wide pavements near home and I see quite a few other runners usually, which is reassuring.
  • GGB wrote:

comanighttrain .... not a useful post - even if in jest.

How so?

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I think if I thought that in order to feel safe out running I'd need to take a knife with me I wouldn't bother. If I felt that unsafe I wouldn't enjoy it or be able to concentrate on my running. I'd have to try and find somewehere else to run or stick to running with a group.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Some of these stories make my jaw drop. And I thought it was bad that I never liked running past dustmen if I could avoid it, because of the inevitable (stereotype-reinforcing) beeping and lecherous comments....
  • Reminds me...i used to go running in Cathkin (Glasgow), and always id be getting coke cane, spit, chased, sticks etc etc etc. It was pretty shady. The one time i was running in Glasgow green and someone attacked me with a stick, then threw the stick so i went back and leathered him. Moral of the story - there are neds(chavs) everywhere. At the end of the day you just want to train but your gonna get hassle unless you live in the country or train only in the gym.

My advice i feel still stands, a women got killed in Queens park here, and worst of all people knew it was happening and done nothing (they heard the screams). She was beaten to death. She had a knife she woulda had a much better chance. She might have got in trouble for it but tbh whats better? Judged by 12 or carried by 6?

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    carry a knife :| no one will expect a girl to be carrying one and itll get you out of a tight spot pretty quick.

The one time i was running in Glasgow green and someone attacked me with a stick, then threw the stick so i went back and leathered him.

Comanighttrain: I sincerely hope that you live in very much another part of the country to me. Seriously - carrying a knife?? Beating someone up? Are you for real?

As for the topic: Although I do run alone and am aware of the risks, I have generally felt pretty safe in my area. Very good reminder, however, to be very aware of your situation as you run. Some excellent ideas here that I will take on board, like taking ID and leaving a run route out for DH.

blurredgirl

• Blurredgirl wrote:
    carry a knife :| no one will expect a girl to be carrying one and itll get you out of a tight spot pretty quick.

[quote]The one time i was running in Glasgow green and someone attacked me with a stick, then threw the stick so i went back and leathered him.

Comanighttrain: I sincerely hope that you live in very much another part of the country to me. Seriously - carrying a knife?? Beating someone up? Are you for real?

As for the topic: Although I do run alone and am aware of the risks, I have generally felt pretty safe in my area. Very good reminder, however, to be very aware of your situation as you run. Some excellent ideas here that I will take on board, like taking ID and leaving a run route out for DH.

blurredgirl

[/quote]

Oh come on im not a bad guy! Just lived in a rough part of town for a while.

Im just saying if its you or them, is it not better them?

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    man, i'm glad i live in the countryside!!!!

• lauraflauraf Posts: 31
    me too! only ever had a group of local teenagers shout at me once, when they realised who I was and that I know most of their mum's they apologised!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    lauraf wrote:

me too! only ever had a group of local teenagers shout at me once, when they realised who I was and that I know most of their mum's they apologised!

That's fantastic! It isn't like that where I am, that said i haven't had much trouble running, there are the odd comedian who thinks it funny to run along side for a few minutes, until I invited them along for the remaining 10 miles if they really wanted, by the end of the road he was crumpled up barely breathing and i carried on with a bit of a laugh as i went. His mates found that funny too.

I don't think that I would want to run if i felt i had to carry a knife - i'd be too worried about cutting myself reaching for my water bottle or something, which, is unfortuantly more likely than not to happen to me.
  • gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    The point is unless you know what you're doing and are agressive enough to actually hurt someone, carrying a knife is usually only a convenient way for your attacker to become better armed. It will also enrage your attacker, potentially escalating the situation from mayhem to murder. It is a resoundingly stupid idea to carry a knife for self-defence.

The best defence is thinking ahead and avoiding the situation - stick to well-lit populated areas, run during daylight if at all possible (yes, whackos out during the daytime too, but less likely that no-one else will be), know your route and tell others about it when you go out, carry a phone with you to call for help if you need it. If you're in a particularly seedy area, join a running club or just find a training buddy - any hooligan is a lot less likely to start something for real if there are two (or more) of you.

Unfortunately this won't stop casual shouted abuse or make the nobs think any more about anyone other than themselves and getting their jollies harassing people, but these are some good strategies for avoiding the more serious types of trouble.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    This thread is really wrong! How can society have become so wrong?

I am a country boy and now live in small town in the heart of somerset, I have only once been abused while training and they will never do it again I shouted really loudly back.

I have been told that i look slightly agressive when cycling or running so it seems most peoiple just get out of the way.

It does sadden me to hear that we are bing singled out for abuse just because we have something in our lives other than CHAVTASTIC bordom!

If I saw it happening to a fellow runner/cyclist i would have to interject. It really is wrong!!!!!!
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    To cheer the thread up a bit - I was recently running on my usual 'long' route and encountered a bunch of around 6 hoodies. I expected a bit of banter and was wary and, in my probably prejudiced and middle-class way decided to ignore them and speed up. As I went passed one of them stuck his hand up and said 'high five!' I didn't, of course, and he said 'hey, that's not very friendly'.

I was not actually intimidated by them, as on my way past I clocked that they appeared very young, quiet and just chilling out. I was on a loop of 2 round a big pond and so I had to go round again (well, didn't have to but it didn't seem enough of a threat to disrupt my run). Second time round the same thing happened, but this time I high-fived him back. His palm-slap was deliberately gentle to not put me off my stride, and he and his mates cheered me on as if I was leading a major race. Loved it.

Admittedly this is not a rough part of town, I was very close to good housing and the kids were clearly not trouble. But just sometimes something nice like that can happen that restores your faith in people.

blurredgirl

• of course you do get the lovely people and strangely enough its not actually hoodies etc who bother me it tends to be grown men who have given me grief. yo're all right though - it is very wrong that we have to be aware that stuff like this happens. maybe its just up here but i did live out in the country for a year or so and although less of the kerb crawling episodes there was way more wolf whistling and horn tooting!!

but i have definitely decided to join the running club - thats the most sensible solution and may even aid my fitness and get me running better.

on the bike note, those green boxes for bikes at traffic lights really pee off drivers who dont understad them! on my ride home from wor today i was in one and the landrover behind,e made a point of cutting me up and giving me the finger. jeesh..... never mind though - tris worth it!!!

hope everyone keeps safe and sound!!! xx
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Had a mate who was a sub 3 hour marathoner, and about 35 mins 10k-er... so pretty good if not up to the olympics. Anyway, he got jumped by the local chav-scum one evening but managed to get away, then set about insulting each and every one of them from a safe distance, really goading them.

They gave chase and he proceeding to stay an annoying 5m in front for the next 90 minutes. They sprinted, then ran, they walked, whatever, but he was always just in front, pissing them off.

I laughed my nuts off when he told me. He must have nearly had them all dying. It was funny right up until I thought of all the times I've tripped, stumbled or even picked up a cramp or injury when running. They could've killed him.

And just so all the ladies know, harrassment happens to blokes too. I've hads the usual 'Oi, Lance' shouting from cars, been spat at, had the Chavs beeping their horns at the last second to scare me off. Even had one white-van come close enough to chuck the remains of his takeaway at me, hitting me with his door mirror in the process. Credit to the local bobbies that one particularly tenacious WPC got proper annoyed about it and make the bloke's life hell for about 4 months, even though she knew there was no chance of a prosecution (no witnesses, other then me).

Oh, I live in the burbs, about 15mins from Southampton and about 5 mins from some proper green bits. There are idiots everywhere.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    @ Bopomofo Them chavs must have been pretty fit to keep up with him for 90 mins

Ijust ignore the a***holes
  • on a lighter note when i go on longer rides in the summer i take a bannana inside a bananna guard, i got oggled by some girls in a convertable, when i got to the lights i pulled up at the side of them with said bananna guard stratigically placed, i never said a word and all 4 of them just sat there gob struck after the passenger noticed what was peircing through the lycra, when they drove off they all burst into laughter...

on reflection i should post this to conehead..

i do feel sorry for you girls though i must say
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    on a lighter note too.. one of our running coaches dave is a funny un, when we are out in force ( about 30 of us ish) and there are a load of lads jeering at us, going "come up knees up.. blah blah".. he gets em over and asks em to run with us, some of em take his offer up and go "yeah this is easy peasy.." they run with us for about 1 minute then slowly drop off.. knackered and thinking "wot the f?!" - who has the last larf then. lol

[;)]

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Them chavs must have been pretty fit to keep up with him for 90 mins

Ijust ignore the a***holes

From what Dave says it was mainly him walking backwards in front of them saying 'Come on then!'... can you imagine the chavvy frustration every time they tried to catch him? I'd usually leave them alone myself but he had already been jumped and hit, so was clearly in the mood for chav-baiting.

On another note, I've had the "Oi, fancy a race" shouted many times from the road-side gang of oiks. The situation is easily defused by saying "No chance, mate, I'm knackered!" which gets a laugh and makes the problem go away.

Actually, the biggest problem I face when running is inconsiderate dog owners. When I'm not side-stepping 'dog eggs' left in the middle of the footpaths round here - I mean how disgusting is that? - I'm dodging badly controlled dogs. My most recent I am afraid ended up with me asking four times for a dog owner to keep their animal under control after it bit my ankle, elbow and hand while jumping up and scratching my leg. I got a load of verbal from the owner.... "Don't be so wet, he's just saying hello" etc while I ended up losing the plot and swearing, which I'm not proud of: "Keep your f'ing dog under control!". I went home with a bruised achilles and some nasty infected scratches on my leg. Nice.

Seriously, all the advice about leaving a route plan, telling somebody where you are going and going out with mates is good advice. Sorry to say that advice is doubly important for the ladies. Also, remember you are fitter than 99.999% of the tossers out there. If it all goes wrong then change your plan to a tempo session and up the pace for a few minutes...

*Edit*. Speling mistooks needed fixign.
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Hmmm, speaking of dogs I was going to say that I take my dog out running with me if I go alone outside and I don't think I've ever really had any hassle. The odd 'run Forrest run' sorta thing or beeps but nothing bad. My dog is a big Border Collie and actually as soft as they come but hey, any w**kers out there don't know that do they?! And yes Bopo, I also end up running with nappy sacks of 'dog eggs' as you so amusingly called them! By the way I live in a fairly busy town and I avoid running alone at night even with the dog. That would just be silly. Am going to get the courage to go out with the Tri club instead and probably die in the process...