Home Chat General Chat

Tomorrow - first Tri!

Hi all! Tomorrow is my first (novice) tri, any tips on a good breakfast - any tips at all!! Feeling v.nervous but v.excited too![:D]

Comments

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    i usually go for a small bowl of porridge on race morning, or cereal and maybe an energy bar or two through the morning, one thing which is more important is to not try anything new which could potentially upset your stomach,

good luck tomorrow and let us know how it went

which race is it?

fatmatt
  • Thanks! I'm in the Eton novice tri (little baby one!) had a back injury last year so taking it easy.[;)] but looking at maybe a sprint later in the year[:D]
  • joBidjoBid Posts: 16
    Best advice I could give is "Just enjoy" with anything you do for the first time don't put pressure on your self with expectations/times, just aim to finish and enjoy every minute...that way you'll come back for more and you'll know what your up against.

I learnt to swim 4 years ago and did my first 70.3 Ironman at the weekend...I enjoyed it...first time...next year I'll be back!

Our club is running it's first Adult training day on Sunday for novices to talk them through Triathlon/kit/transition/nutrition etc and take them around our race course ready for the race in July. Anyone new to the sport should definitely contact their local club and enquire about training days because if they don't do them at the moment they will more than likely do one once interest is shown.

No Triathlete is going to let any person showing the slightest bit of interest in the sport get away from the addiction!
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Any tips? Just enjoy it! Use it as a learning experience. I usually go for porridge too, but try not to eat less than two hours before, or you might find brekkie coming back up. Have a good one. You'll be addicted. And relax.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI AB - the big day has arrived & your all a tither over things ..... but you have put the training in we have seen the evidence on here ... and will undoubteldy do us proud ... go get 'em girl !!!!

oh yeh porridge works for me on race days too

let us know how things went

be thinking of you

Madnurse
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Good luck AB, you'll be just fine. And after you cross that line you'll feel like you could do it all over again....

Just keep it under control and ignore what everyone else is doing - I think us girls are much better at pacing ourselves than all those testosterone-filled alpha males...

What time are you off?
  • 11.30 - apparantly the older ones need more sleep!

Thanks for the encouragement all, footies over so off to try and get some sleep, I'll give an update tomorrow and let you know if I've got the bug!
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Make the most of the late start - and I reckon I've got a good 10 years on you!

Good luck - and enjoy.
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Good luck AB enjoy and no question your going to get the bug for racing.
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Missed this last Night AB so you're probably away... Hope you had a great time... looking forward to hearing how you got on!

Jaz
    11:29 exactly and she's off! ( almost)
  • Well first one out of the way!

Swim 200m - good!

Cycle 5km - good!

Run - 2.5.km - OMG legs turned to jelly and nearly threw up when only a few hundred metres from the end[:(] - but I did it! [:D][:D][:D]

My beloved and daughter no 2 reckon I did it in around about 38 mins and finished about mid field but need to wait for official race time.

Any way currently completing the form to enter the Cotswold tri in Sept - much more training needed!

Oh and one other thing, won the competition draw and got an ORCA wetsuit, Trek bike and Timex heart rate monitor, watch gadget (but apparantly it doesn't give back rubs [:(]) What a bonus!![:D][:D][:D]
    oh my god!!!! whay did you win??????? i saved for ages for my trek and bought only bought a wetsuit this year you lucky...........

well done though sounds like you had a fantastic day, mid way through the field is a great result, equates to around 1:16 for the full sprint distance which is very respectable, and the old jelly legs is normal.

i might see you at the cotswold sprint, i'm expecting a few hills on that one.

well done

fatmatt
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    AB wrote:

Well first one out of the way!

Swim 200m - good!

Cycle 5km - good!

Run - 2.5.km - OMG legs turned to jelly and nearly threw up when only a few hundred metres from the end[:(] - but I did it! [:D][:D][:D]

My beloved and daughter no 2 reckon I did it in around about 38 mins and finished about mid field but need to wait for official race time.

Any way currently completing the form to enter the Cotswold tri in Sept - much more training needed!

Oh and one other thing, won the competition draw and got an ORCA wetsuit, Trek bike and Timex heart rate monitor, watch gadget (but apparantly it doesn't give back rubs [:(]) What a bonus!![:D][:D][:D]

AB,

Well done, so jealous as I can't wait for my first race.

Good news on winning the draw as well. With all that kit I can imagine you moving up the table with better times etc. Hope you collectin time to get some decent training out of it for the Cotswold tri.

Whats the date of the cotswold tri by the way?

Wella

• Cotswold is 10th Sept (http://www.triferris.com/)- Just putting together my training plan so guess I must have the bug! Even if I'm not that fast I'll look the part anyway![;)]
    fabulous AB .... sounds like you not only kicked ass but cleaned up with the gear as well .. good day all round then .... you'll be an ironlady before you know it ..

tri it

do it

love it

madnurse (phil)

ps we said you would - welcome to the dark side
  • Not sure I have the mental strength for the old iron! Right now drinking cocktails (LSCSATW) and watching footie!!

Yea - dark side is beckoning I feel the force!
    enjoy the moment as they say .. cant wait for my 'champagne' tomorrow (fingers crossed)
  • And well deserved it will be! The thought of an oly is well beyond me right now but every respect to you! Don't forget to tell us how you did!
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Way to go Ab, well done. Tri is one of the most infectious of bugs and most of us will end up being cared for by Madnurse; but you have contracted it now!

what distance is the cotswold tri?

DAvid

• CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Well done AB, you've done brilliantly. Congrats on the gear too!! Wear that event T-Shirt with pride :-)
  • Cotswold tri:

400m-20k-2.5k; or

750m-20k-5k

I'm going for the first one - have the form printed and filling it out! New training programme printed and on the fridge!
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Hey AB! Congrats and welcome to the club :D I particularly like the David Becham finish [:D]
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Fabulous AB... congrats on everything...! Now you're well hooked!

Where about is the cotswolds tri? I have friends who live in Cheltenham?
    HI Ab ---- you'll be glad to know your tri will have its pics online some time today

http://www1.sportcam.net/site3/public/index.php?screen=large

did you have chance to try out any of your new gear yet ??

[:@][:@][:@] jealous nurse
  • Cotswolds - at the Water Park - I'll prob camp down there!

Gear - Used the wetsuit on Sat - excellent! Biek should arrive next week as will the watch so will let you know!

Beckham finish - obviously the sign of a true athlete! Luckily manged to avoid actually hurling, just felt like it!

Pics - Waiting with bated breath - looked at official times last night and pretty pleased (look under Blunden in novice) Lost 3 mins on the swim with wetusit getting stuck and putting my helmet on before the t-shirt (Doh!) and run was 2 mins slower than I expected.Prizes to anyone who spots the (not) deliberate mistake in my attire on bike and run!