Home Chat General Chat

Wisdom tooth - how long...

MowfMowf Posts: 272
I've just had a wisdom tooth removed. Has anyone else had this? And if so, how long did keep you out for? My 'op' was on Monday.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Did anyone else read the thread title and think "about an inch or so"?

Sorry Mowf, never had to have one out fortunately.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    The key thing is to keep it nice and clean - lots of rinses with salt water. If you get an infection, which is really really easy to do then you will be grotty.

You will probably be OK now.. but you should ask the Dentist really! The effects of the anaesthetic should have long gone from your system. The wound should be nicely healing and you are not too likely to open it again.

You might want to take it a bit easy - recovery run/ride.

If it feels really sore still then you might have an infection - which you will need some anti-biotics for.

[The only time I have crashed the car (so far) is when I was having problems with my wisdom teeth - It was in slow moving traffic. It hurt. I was wiggling it and trying to use the rear view mirror to look at it. And drove (only at 3mph) into the car in front. I then decided I should go and have them out].
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Depends on how you had it take out and whether you develop an infection.

I had one taken out years ago with no issues (everything cleared in about a week) but then last year I had two removed (the bottom ones) surgically (took the guys an hour to do it!!) which became infected and required three rounds of antibiotics to clear - didn't stop me doing my first triathlon two weeks later - felt terrible during but great after (not entirely sure it was sensible though...).

Best thing is lots of salt washes after meals (not too vigorous in the early days - you don't want to dislodge the clot...) and NSAIDs (ibuprofen) if there is a lot of pain, paracetamol has limited data for dental pain and is not really that effective.

Ultimately though if there is still pain/inflamation after a week I would go and get them check by the dentist....

I.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Thanks for that Combatdwarf:

I only had one out, and it was fairly straight forward apparently. Aneasthetic was fun...

I am doing all the salt wash stuff, and taking a Ibuprofen and paracetamol combo (reccomended by the dentist, not my own design).

It's giving me a bit of jip and the minute, but I can't stay out of training for much longer!

I think i might get the bike out tonight and do a few laps of my 'how is my fitness?' circuit. Hopefully the lack of impact should mean i am ok.

I've got a swim session planned at Bath uni on Sunday. What do you reckon about that?
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    To be honest if it is in a pool the water probably contains a higher level of antibacterial disinfective (i.e. chlorine) than the salt rises! I had no issues when I had mine out with swimming - I just kept my mouth shut...

I.