Home Chat General Chat

Pre race hydration

My race season starts in earnest this weekend at what looks like is going to be a cold & rainy Big Cow winter duathlon in Milton Keynes. I’m always conscious to make sure I’m pretty well hydrated before races following a hellish 10k a couple of summers ago. So…

1) Should I be drinking anything more than (or with) just council pop – squash, electrolyte drink, water with salt/sugar in?

2) Should I be taking on more fluid than I usually do? I''ve heard drinking too much can start to "wash" electrolytes out of your body.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I've been told you should increase the amount you drink over a few days before the race, to avoid washing out electrolytes which would happen if you just upped your fluid intake on race day. I've not actually tried it yet.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    If you are going to up your water intake then you need to start a couple of days if not 4 before the event. You are right that upping your water intake will wash out all the goodness that you need when excersizeing.

If I am going to up the liquid I will make sure that get all the salts I need from other sources to balance the water out.

If you up it 4 days before then the body will balance it out its self. I would have some saly in bag if it was hot but seems this weekend is gonna be UNSETTLED!

Good luck.