Home Chat General Chat

Bikes on buses

Hello all,

As I mentioned in my other thread I had a mechanical failure the other day whilst 6 miles from home. I have always taken money with me in the thought that if something like this happened I could just get the bus home, but not so apparently!

Since when has it not been ok to take bikes on the bus?

And so therefore that leads me to the question, what do you guys have as back up plans if something like this happens? I'm not sure I have anyone I can call to come and pick me up as g/f doesn't have a car.

Does anyone carry some kind of fix all kit which can help them get home whatever?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Tommi while reading this I could not help but say out loud "I hate you butler" in my best Blakey voice.

If it happened to me I would not have the luxary of even thinking of a bus as they seem to only go on my route once a day! Would cost a fortune as well.

I am now thinking I might get a fix all kit! (sticky back plastic, clothes pegs and...........)

The only trouble is where do you stop when packing a kit? I think you had a free wheel problem? You wont be fixing that at the side of road unless you have a full stocked trailer!

I dont know is this just the chance we take and some times walking is is an nesecary evil!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I've thought about adding this to my bike's insurance policy, Cycleguard Rescue. For £12 it might be a sensible option when I start doing more long rides in the summer, otherwise I hope that the £20 I carry should cover a taxi.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Interesting jibby, would be worth £12, scanning ther page I see it's an add-on to bike insurance not a stand alone product though.

£20 should get you to a cash machine in a taxi. My concern would be that if I was having that bad a day, the taxi driver would do a runner with the bike as I was at the cashpoint!
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Just to go off (or rather, on) thread slightly, the issue of not being able to take bikes on buses has made life pretty awkward for me lately - I'm not going to the Steyning Duathlon because I can't get there without having to use a bus replacement service for the to-London leg of my train journey.

Even if I bagged/boxed it up, there's no guarantee the driver would take it, and anyway, how awkward would it be to have to take a bike carrier to a race?!

I'm having to extend my Big Cow trip so that I don't travel on the weekend, because of the same reasons. Some might say I'm the one being awkward, or that I should just drive, but I don't drive (and don't want too) and if they can do it in Europe and the RoW why does it have to be such an issue here?

As for breaking down mid-ride; I'd just treat it like a cyclocross and sling the bike over my shoulder and run the rest of the way home.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    To totally hijack the thread (sorry) - Steyning Duathlon - do you have any details?

many thanks

blurredgirl

• AndreAndre Posts: 103
    It's Easter Monday (i.e. Monday 13th April) at 13:15 - and, if I've remember correctly, it's 7km/36km/5km with the runs on a tight 1km loop around the town. Entry's £35 (£39 for non-BTF) and details should be available from www.rawenergypursuits.co.uk (although this ain't working for me at the moment).