Home Chat General Chat

Don't do this

Great Idea!

Dont by presliced Soreen

Comments

• deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    Has anyone bought a piece of tri kit before and then regretted it after reading a topic on this forum?

I was thinking of this last night as I went up and down the pool in my pimped up, dark goggles thinking of a comment by bopo that dark goggles are not a good idea in open water cos you can't see where you are going

maybe we should start a "Don't do this" thread for newbies so we can all save some money
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Don't spend a lot of money on new clothes. Phase 1 - getting in shape and loosing weight is the followed by Phase 2 - Getting really fit and changing shape all over again.

The missus is insisting that I take some hardly worn suits to a tailors to see if I can get them altered. Waist needs to go in by about 4 inches so I doubt it is possible. And these were the smaller ones!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ah yes but..if you 'appen to be OWS on the sunny day this year, you will appreciate the dark lenses. The 'in' leg of our OW venue is into the sun (so to speak) so a little shade on summer evenings is always welcome, especially with my navigation & sighting skills.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I kind of did this the other way round. Every time I put my trainers on and do up my lovely Lock Laces, I think of the recent thread where a couple of people said NOOO you shouldn't use them in the long term because make your feet drop off. Or something. But I like them, so they're staying.

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    juleso wrote:

I kind of did this the other way round. Every time I put my trainers on and do up my lovely Lock Laces, I think of the recent thread where a couple of people said NOOO you shouldn't use them in the long term because make your feet drop off. Or something. But I like them, so they're staying.

I think the same thing everytime i get on my silver bike.
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    this is a great thread! lol [:)]
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    juleso wrote:

Yep - that was my other one. I bought them, put them in my new trainers. Then saw a message saying don't use them all the time as they ruin your feet. It was with tears in my eyes that I reached for my scissors...
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    juleso wrote:

I kind of did this the other way round. Every time I put my trainers on and do up my lovely Lock Laces, I think of the recent thread where a couple of people said NOOO you shouldn't use them in the long term because make your feet drop off. Or something. But I like them, so they're staying.

Can someone explain this to me please? I have my lock laces in my shoes all the time and I have never had any problems (apart from the stress fracture!)
    T'was this page:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=25769&mpage=1&key=laces

OK, so I'm hoping that this will magic itself into a link upon posting......turns out that I'm a bit of a computer div.

Nobody mentions anything about their feet actually falling off; I may have exaggerated that bit......
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Don't forget the all important factor of at least looking the part even if you're about to demonstrate the slowest triathlon on record[:D]
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    The real danger with lock laces is when you first set them up. If they are done to tight then your feet go numb later on, remembering the old ladies tale that hot feet swell. I have endured this pain myself, it's not much fun.

I definitely wouldn't recommend buying a bike chain and leaving your bike locked to a pipe in a communal store cupboard within a locked, secured apartment complex.....................apparently neighbours will rob you and sell your possesions! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m14.gif[/image]
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    i'm laughing very loundly, tell me no one has paid 4.99 for those locklaces.

Go into any independant walking shop or rockclimbing shop and you can buy them in all differant colours for about 50 p

Secondly, i joined the army at 16 i'm now 37 and have used them all my life i run alot, and ive never suffered with pain of any description.

Some dude probably had bad or cheap trainers, can you imagine how many millions of locklaces have been sold all over the world and the problems of the claim culture we now live in, they would of been banned years ago.

As for the op, its a learning curve mate, i bought loads of stuff when i started and which i had bought differant, from the bike ( alum should of gone carbon), to my tri suit( zxu which i had bought a more expensive one), but when you start who know is you will love it or not, i will just replace it as and when i can afford it.

P.s scr ltd and zxu tri suit for sale, all enquires to pm, thanks
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I tried lock laces but found that they weren't that comfy, however I got some other elastic laces which i think are great. They are Xtenex laces and have little 'knots' every cm or so which fall out when pulled tight, then just lace them up and they work a treat...

http://cart.totalfitnessbathltd.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=482&parent=108

I didn't get them from here but this was all i could find...

• eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    That silver bike is costing you vast amounts of time, even when its stationary in transition. If it were black on the other hand......

And if it were RED........
  • when you get your mum to knitt you a tri suit, make sure its black..

mohair wool is a killer far to ichy...

thats only for pros
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Can someone explain this to me please? I have my lock laces in my shoes all the time and I have never had any problems (apart from the stress fracture!)

I think i have hit on a possible cause of my now - inner lower leg pain, (right where the calf joins the shin bone on the inside of the lower leg), i have had my lock laces in for a couple of months.....

Turns out the muscle that runs down that part of your leg is the same one that supports your arch. I'm guessing that if the laces are giving a little, then my arch support is lessened.....blar blar blar.....
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Don't shit yourself during the run.......

Do pee yourself during the bike.....
    Gary. Tsk. It's not your laces, it's o-ver-train-ing...........
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Garys foot thing could be arch 'collapse'as it were, but unless he has flat feet, it is very fixable, first step (see what I did there) ...walk around barefoot at every opportunity, your foot muscles will have no choice but to strengthen.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Ah yes the joys of barefoot. I like to wander around everywhere barefoot in the summer. drive barefoot, pop to morrisons barefoot.

sometimes people give me money too. (only joking)

the only time my feet hurt is when they have to squeeze in to heels [:(] damn things from hell....
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    deeess: I think my comment about dark goggles was referring to REALLY dark ones, but I also made the point that it depends on where the sun is. IIRC we may have been talking about London Tri, where for early starts you are sighting straight into the sun on the outward leg of the swim and dark goggles would then be a good thing.

- Don't buy a nice new under-seat storage pouch when you have fitted a Fast Forward seat-post. The bag won't fit.

- Do buy those XTenex laces. I used them for the first time in anger on Sunday (yes, having tried them out beforehand) and they're much better than normal lock laces. The little knot things mean that there's much less give and the lace doesn't move around so much. They felt really good, no sore feet as a result for the 8+km run.

- Don't forget to take your running shoes and leave them by the pool door at Winchester sprint tri. That bloody gravel car-park will take the skin off your toes when you run to T1. The guys who pulled trainers on at the poolside then off again when they got to their bikes where MUCH faster overall in T1. Applies to many races, actually.

- Don't put flip-flops on the pool side thinking that will get you to T1. You ever tried to run in flip-flops? Exactly.

- Cheap rim tape is crap.

- Don't buy running shoes because they seem to fit or because they look nice. Go to a shop where they have a treadmill and a camera.

- Don't waste all your time on this forum listening to advice from people who have never done a race. Get out there and cock it up for yourself.

- Don't listen to me either.

- Or conehead, you'll only encourage him.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Bopo, totally agree with the run shoes by pool door comment, it was not a nice run from pool to transition through the car park at Winchester
    Gary. Tsk. It's not your laces, it's o-ver-train-ing...........

I don't think i'm over training.

but unless he has flat feet,

I don't have flat feet.....

[8|]

• @Jesster,

Just for your info, driving in bare feet is illegal. Useless piece of information but hey. CT
    Gary, I'm going to get off your case, because I keep nagging you and last time I checked we weren't married! I'm sure you know that there's a risk of actual injury if you ignore a niggle though and I don't want you to waste all that hard training you've been doing.

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Bopomofo wrote:

- Do buy those XTenex laces. I used them for the first time in anger on Sunday (yes, having tried them out beforehand) and they're much better than normal lock laces. The little knot things mean that there's much less give and the lace doesn't move around so much. They felt really good, no sore feet as a result for the 8+km run.

- Don't forget to take your running shoes and leave them by the pool door at Winchester sprint tri. That bloody gravel car-park will take the skin off your toes when you run to T1. The guys who pulled trainers on at the poolside then off again when they got to their bikes where MUCH faster overall in T1. Applies to many races, actually.

That's great advice re the trainers, I wouldn't have thought of that - probably as my pool have a 'no outdoor shoes' sign at pools side.

I love my Xtenex laces, i have them in both sets of runners, and if they didn't look so odd they'd go in all my shoes...i'll have to get the black ones and see if i can get away with that at work...
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    @ ConspiracyTheory-Pfft!! Driving barefoot may well be illegal but a darn sight better than driving in skyscraper heels or platforms which is, weirdly, legal. The barefoot driving continues.....
    Hey juleso,

Your advice (not nagging) is probably one of the reasons i'm still in one piece! Don't stop...i need all the advice i can get, i really really do, and i appreciate it all too.

Here's my training:

Today: Just got back from endurance swim session - nothing too heavy.

Yesterday: Swimming 1-1.5hr mixed, drills and stuff. 5k slow run (taking it easy - shin hurt :o( )

Sunday: Day off so went down the local industrial estate to practised transitions

Saturday: Bike fit in the morning, 23k ride to test new setup. Swimming 1hr.

Can't remember before that! I don't keep a log and don't follow a training guide. I don't generally have days off but i will take an easy day in the pool when i'm tired.

Some might say that the lack of training program is a sure fire way to 'prepare to fail' (and i wouldn't disagree) -

But i don't think i'm over-training, i may, on the other hand, be under-eating!! As i'm getting ever closer to the dreaded tri-suit public appearance!

Stay with me buddy - i need all the help i can get.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    ConspiracyTheory wrote:

@Jesster,

Just for your info, driving in bare feet is illegal. Useless piece of information but hey. CT

actually its not driving in flip flops or shoes that have no heel support is
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I declare this thread de-railed.