Home Chat General Chat

tri swim training

my first sprint tri, swim section is only 400m, should I be just training this distance or further when i am swim training?

any advice..

cheers

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I reckon so.
  • 400m is maybe a bit short for the variable intensity training?

No expert here though, but i know if i just do 1.5km flat everyone here laughs at me

• lappieszalappiesza Posts: 36
    My suggestion would be go longer but alter your days. In other words do a slow 1km one day some drills the other maybe kicks, catch-up and fists and then do some intervals the other day. Short sprints with 20-30sec rest then again!

Just an idea but remember have fun and enjoy your sessions!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Mate ideally you should try and swim further if you can,

but not every one can do 1 km in a pool,

so

Swim lengths till you cant swim no more, then rest till you feel ok, then do the same, just keep doing this until your pooped.

Then next swim session swim 150 metres as fast as you can then again rest 20/30 seconds and repeat, do this about 6/7 times.

As its your first one, i doubt you will win, so use it as a fun tri to iron out any problems then build on it for the next ones, if you first one is approaching quickly, any swimming you do now wont have much of an impact.

enjoy
  • lappieszalappiesza Posts: 36
    Ah comon jelly legs I cover 9km in a pool. Takes me 3hours but gets done.

But Meakie, Jelly legs has a point. Go as far as you can 1km was just a suggestion. Its 40lengths of a 25m pool.

And yes he is right just have fun. Soak up the atmosphere!
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    I can swim 1- 1.5 MILES in a pool non stop, no probs

nope-am not aiming to win, its my first tri, I am just aiming to get thru it.

I have done swim training before but for alot longer distance swim races, as this is only 400m I wondered what I should be doing for this one..

I love the swim section, am feeling very fit and enjoying it.

Just thought I would ask tho

thanks all
  • Hi meakie,

As someone from a swimming backgroud, training for 400m swims is something I've done quite a lot. There's no need to do 1k swimming non-stop (arguably, this isn't even neccassary when training for 1500m either). I would do sets of up to 500 POSSIBLY 600 max at a time, but if I'm specifically training for the shorter distances (up to 400m) I will be training with sets of 50s or 100s. Do you have any idea of what time you want to do the swim in? and have you done a 400m before? The most effective way to get some speed will be to incorporate drills into your sessions as well as the usual kick and pull sets and then sprints to get the speed in your arms so to speak.

An example of a session that could be used is as follows...

(main set)

5/6 x 100F/C W30/45secs rest

you could then do a 200m easy swim to recover before repeating the set. This would also help with your longer distance races.

On easier sessions, try to finish the session with a secondary set of 25 or 50m efforts before completing your cool down.

Hope this is of some help?
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Ah comon jelly legs I cover 9km in a pool

your a machine !!
  • 9k!!! omg!! x
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    9??? Thats almost my monthly quota![:o]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I doubt I've swum 9km in my life.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Great. Thanks a lot. There goes my day-off on Friday. See, like the other swimmers here (though I've never been competitive) I generally train at 50-100m sets, with the odd 10x400m session for pain. I rarely swim more than 1km in a single go.

So, last time somebody (CGB?) commented on their 1500m swim session I felt compelled to time myself. Then somebody mentioned going up to IM distance in the pool, so for the first time in my life I got in the pool and did 3800m non-stop.

Now you lot have started going on about swimming 9km in a single go. Bugger. I'll be in the pool at the Hampshire Tennis Club from 10am-1pm on Friday if this cold has cleared up properly by then.
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Crikey 9k, that is going some! I was pleased with the 1k I just did!! Good luck on Friday Bopomofo, let us know how it goes!!!
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    stickmanonabike wrote:

Hi meakie,

As someone from a swimming backgroud, training for 400m swims is something I've done quite a lot. There's no need to do 1k swimming non-stop (arguably, this isn't even neccassary when training for 1500m either). I would do sets of up to 500 POSSIBLY 600 max at a time, but if I'm specifically training for the shorter distances (up to 400m) I will be training with sets of 50s or 100s. Do you have any idea of what time you want to do the swim in? and have you done a 400m before?

Hiya, yep have done 400m races before and at the mo I am completing these in 9mins and thats pool based ( my first tri is in a pool)

I wil be very happy if I do the swim on the day in 9mins 30secs ( have to take into account the wave I am in/other people etc and nerves!)

what does that time sound like? is that too slow or am I doing ok? when i looked at the tables from last yrs swim section for the same tri, most people did it in the same if not way more than that, so i think my speed is ok.

I also know not to leg it on the first part of the tri, that time I have given is with me swimming at say level 8- level 10 being my fastest

• Ok, I don't like nerves so we will say you are going for a 9min 400m / 2.15 per 100 AT LEAST.

Based on that time, a lot of your improvements will come from technique work which is obviously hard for me to assess on this. Key points would be to reduce body snaking, think long (body length and strokes) and to relax!

Definately include drill work in all your sessions. finger drag and superman/slow recovery are both good ones. Also do some kick sets without a float if possible as it will teach your body to stay in a streamlined position (improve shoulder flexibility over time too).

I'm guessing you could probably swim 100m in 2.00minutes if you tried so do try 4 x 100m Target Time= 2.00 then 30/45seconds rest. Try to make sure you have your breath back (hence the option of 30/45 seconds).

Let me know how that goes then I will have a better idea of your swimming capabilities.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    [X(]Bopomofo[X(]

Can I have your bike after that swimon friday, I bet you won't be needing it in hell(I'd say heaven for you, but that would probably be a lie [:D][:D][:D]).
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I will see your 9k & raise you to 10k.

(Never swum this far, just wanted to see what Bop would do).
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    my advice to you as an ex international swimmer ( lonf time ago 23 years) doing the 200 and 400 medley is if you want to improve your time do mid range rep's ie 200 metre with at the most 20 seconds rest if you want to do over distance only do 500 metres , the most important thing for you is building up to flat line speed as 400 metres is vertuial a sprint in swimming and tri terms . If you fell confident after your first race you can move up the distance. But hear are a few good idea's to improve your fitness level

400 metres warm up

8 X 50 metres freestyle on 5 seconds rest

4 x 100 metres freestyle on 10 seconds rest

2 x 200 metres freestyle on 15 seconds rest

1 x 400 metres freestyle on 20 seconds rest

2 x 200 metres freestyle on 15 seconds rest

4 x 100 metres freestyle on 10 seconds rest

8 x 50 metres freestyle on 5 seconds rest

100 metre freestyle easy

then finally if time 300 cool down any stoke

x 50 metres freestyle