Home Chat General Chat

Nutrition and Tri - advice please?

Reckon I am not eating right as have flat spots where I feel weak and dizzy. I've ssen this book (Nutrition and Endurance: Where Do I Begin?) and wondered if any one else has bought it, or can suggest a good book to start with?

Comments

• CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Hi AB,

There's loads of good books & websites to look through & the more you read there more confusing it can get. I'd reccomemend finding an easy to understand plan & stick with just the one. No need to go too mad a good well balanced low fat diet is all we really need, probably with quite a high carb basis (approx 65-75%). Everything really depends on where you are right now with fitness, diet, hydration & rest it's a complete minefield.

If you're getting flat spots in training look at the previous 24hrs intake carefully & also utilise energy gels/bars during training - also train on electrolyte drinks at the very least not just water!

btw

I always reward myself with toasted blt's after a long ride!
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Try and keep it simple. High carb with some protein and a little fat. Low GI food to keep a balance generally but high GI food after a good session. Remember to eat or drink high carb things within 30minutes of finishing a session, if its a long session drink up to 300ml of fluid (sports drink or water) every 15 to 20 minutes but if its a session of over an hour use sports drink (SIS High 5 etc). This is only my opinion and has no professional background to it, its just advise that i've followed.
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi AB,

Dizzy spells could be load of things including overtraining or lack of carbs... I know when I've overtrained cos I get huge headrushes when I stand up but sounds like yours are when you are out.... I'd make sure you get a good mix of low and high GI carb foods (porridge low - dried fruit high) before you go out and then again when you come in ... that way your blood sugar levels should be a bit more consistent and prevent the dizziness!

If it persists speak to the Doc (or the Nurse!)

Jaz
  • I do have slightly low blood pressure (low side of normal that is!), weak spots are whilst exercising (not after) so will try the porridge/dried fruit and see if it helps. Get a bit frustrated as feel all weak and wobbly, have to slow down and then feel fine when I've finished. Other days feel great so maybe a bit of a diary would help too!

Thanks guys!
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Ahh.. diary is a must if its intermittent... see what you've done differently eating wise, exercise and sleep patterns too!! Hopefully then you'll narrow it down to a specific thing!