Home Chat General Chat

Soreen

My other half recently brought home a sliced soreen loaf, didn't realise they did it sliced....can't make my mind up whether it is a good thing. What do you think?

Comments

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    You must have missed the long running 'Is too much Soreen a bad thing?' thread.[;)]

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=25614

Pull off chunks!

Although I did spot a handy pre-sliced version on Sunday! Now that's decadence![8D]

[image]http://www.soreen.com/images/sliced_pic.jpg[/image]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I did a soreen "grouptest" the other day.

The test subjects were -

Original soreen

Raisin + cinnamon soreen

Weightwatchers malt loaf

Adsa smart price malt loaf

Well lets start with the bottom of the pile, whether it was bad batch or not I had 4 loaves of the R+C soreen, bought on 2 separate occasions, all 4 were try and not soreen stodgy! last place I'm afraid. In 3rd we have the Asda smart price, excellent by at 27p a loaf and tastes pretty good, not quite as good as the original, a bit drier with a funny shinny coating. second place is handed to the very close runner up the weightwatchers malt loaf! This one tasted good, very very soreen like, I would challenge britspin to tell the difference and excellent value. But it is pipped slightly by the original, if it aint broke, don't fix it! Simply superb.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Tommi....we salute your sacrifice, you ate raisin & cinnamon so we don't have to.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Oh & the poll, none of the above, bread knife, slice thin, slice thick, try to avoid squashing laof too much & slater with butter, fight for the crust.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    It is with great thanks to Tommitri for his commiment to Sorren that we now know the evil that is anything other than orginal.

How can anyone want sliced soreen? For one thing it costs more for someelse to have sliced it for you. Why not invest in a butler to do that for you??????

It has to be orginal soreen in various size chunks with a small skim of butter.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    Ah tommitri takin one for the team so we dont have too! well done! i got bought a pre-sliced soreen and it tasted odd! I'm with you britspin on the slicing!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    None of the above; don't cut anything off: Eat the whole damn thing, we're triathletes for heavens sake! [:D]
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I'm new to this Soreen lark. I have only know it in sliced form. However did you cope before?
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I've decided that sliced soreen is a bit restricting, I want to decide how thick or the size of the lump I tear off with my teeth. Don't try to control me with you standard(ish) slice width!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    And so say all of us!!!!
  • Please don't hate me but I tried the raisin & cinnamon soreen and thought it was great [:)]

That's not to say I'll be forsaking my usual thick sliced malt loaf with butter [:D]

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    have you tried the new Sorren Go bars - yukkkk
    OMG how is the sliced muck winning?
    sliced??? what the hell is wrong with you people! I am off to eat a soreen whole!
    Pint mik + Loaf of soreen + Liquidiser = Soreen Shake?
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I slice mine manually, so I can get the thickness right maybe that's why people are choosing that in the poll. Wouldn't go near the pre-sliced stuff, one of you lot might be watching me!

I saw on the packet of a loaf I bought today (2-4-1 in Sainsbury's btw) that there is a pre-sliced-pre-buttered "snack pack" available. Those R&D guys must be running short on ideas now.
    benny wrote:

None of the above; don't cut anything off: Eat the whole damn thing, we're triathletes for heavens sake! [:D]

TommiTri wrote:

sliced??? what the hell is wrong with you people! I am off to eat a soreen whole!

Its true benny, you are my idol, therefore I must do what you do! hehe[:D]
    Great minds think alike!!!
  • John DJohn D Posts: 11
    For those of you who are after some nutritional advice for Iroman I used Soreen when I did the Longest Day in 97, 98 and 2000. I had slices wrapped in foil and stored in the rear pocket of my tri top. Had a slice every hour which, for me, was as much motivational as nutritional.

Got round in 11 hours, 3 min which I was happy with.

Doing the Ironman UK this year not sure if I'll do the same this time though!!