Home Chat General Chat

transtion getting on and off the bike

Hi folks

I am looking for advice am to cut down my transtions times ie swim to bike and bike to run. I have some tri cycle shoes but getting in and out of them while cycling is not as easy as it appears on tele as anybody got any tipes on how to get used to it without me ending coming off my bike

confussed of the north

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Courtesy of Scibby on another post (transition tips if you look in search). Pretty useful!

Scibby wrote:

I found youtube quite helpful on this. Loads of vids there (including some really annoying american accents!) Here's one in a series that I found useful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19fN9FdWbw

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Not long ago there was an excellent thread about this, with lots of uploaded pics and comments on how to do it properly.

Don't know what it was called though, try search or wait until someone with a better memory turns up here.[:)]
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Here is the link to the post with my photos of me stage by stage on how to put feet into your shoes..... all you need to do is master the actual jumping on the bike as the pics dont show that...:)

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=29548
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    hussler wrote:

Here is the link to the post with my photos of me stage by stage on how to put feet into your shoes..... all you need to do is master the actual jumping on the bike as the pics dont show that...:)

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=29548

To ask a stupid question - the elastic bands snap every time do they?
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Should do, but even if they dont they dont affect your pedalling anyway:)

if you use big elastic bands then they may not snap, but small ones around the size of a jaffa cake LOL work well:)
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I have to get some triathlon cycling shoes (mine are standard cycling). I am definitely on a budget so was hoping to get some recommendations. I will need to try on and therefore am also looking for a local (ish) good bike store.

I live in telford. Can you recommend a bike store and a shoe?
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    garyroberts wrote:

I have to get some triathlon cycling shoes (mine are standard cycling). I am definitely on a budget so was hoping to get some recommendations. I will need to try on and therefore am also looking for a local (ish) good bike store.

I live in telford. Can you recommend a bike store and a shoe?

My recommendation would be not to bother yet - especially if you are on a budget. They are definately a non-essential item in my opinion. This is your first year in tri, so I doubt you are going to be leaping onto the saddle with your shoes already clipped in (which is the main benefit of tri-shoes).

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i'm in my 4th year of tri over here in england and still have normal cycling shoes, not tri specific ones. my transition times are just as quick as anyone else. doesnt hold me back at all. only just starting to wonder if it might be worth getting them, but i only want them so i look more like a triathlete![:)]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I find them very usefull, it saves seconds on the bike start!!

And if you think seconds don't matter for you,wel, you're probably wrong. Especially during draft races; the difference between closing a 3 second gap and making it to that great bike group, or being unable to make it cause the gap is 8 seconds is HUGE!!!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I use normal cycling shoes and leave them clipped in, unless my pre-race recce tells me that the bike start is a steep uphill - then I put them on in transition.

Not sure if it saves me time overall - probably not, in fact - but it feels better to at least be moving while I'm putting them on rather than sat on my backside in a pile of talcum powder. The main reason is that I've fallen over twice when running while wearing cycling shoes.

Never caught my fingers in the cogs or spokes, either. I leave them loosely undone with the velcro straps looped through the slots but just touching the corresponding velcro. Make sense? No? Imagine I had done my shoes up to fit giant feet.

Never felt the need to get fleeced a load of extra cash just for shoes that say 'Tri' on them.

Oh, one other point: I got a big box of elastic bands and practiced getting in and out of my shoes about 20 times before I first tried it for real. I also practice doing it without elastic bands, just in case they snap early, fall off, whatever.