Home Chat General Chat

What do you do when your sick?

You should have put and eat soreen at the end of all of the choice's.

I do tend to watch films and of course read my latest 220! Whilst eating soreen and drinking R Whits lemonade (comfort food and drink for me)

Comments

• I got a cold/virus thing and im out of the training for a while. I am so bored. I even tried playing World Of Warcraft but the constant barrage of 13 year olds telling me "L2P noob" put me off. So now im reading a ray mears book and drinking copious amounts of tea.

What do you guys do? any suggestions?

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Train if its above neck, of course with less intensity.

If it's below, don't train, when better start slowly for a few days.

When not training: post on thisforumas usual, read lots on triathlon( now is the time to devour 'Triathletes training bible' or Total Immersion' or alike) and eat/drink some treats(not alcohol of course).
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    If it's a cold/man flu, go for a gentle swimming session as the humid air helps breathing a lot.

If it's a leg/hip injury then do some weights or swim with a pull buoy.

Only if i'm on my death bed to I pass on training, or consider it the rest day that week.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    All of the above. I use to train through if I wasn't actually forced into my bed, now I've learned to give it a rest. I've got a good mate who used to be the fittest bloke I knew. He trained through a nasty cold and rattly chest... overtrained, in fact.... never really gave his body a chance to fight off the virus which eventually gave him some nasty heart problems.

He has a pace-maker now, munches a hand-full of tablets every day and has stopped training.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I'm currently making a lot of progress with The Three Musketeers and trying to think about how exciting it will be to go for a swim next week after quite a number of rest (sick) days.

Cough, cough.
  • Im with bopo on this one. i once tried to train through a simple cold.. it lasted practically a whole month as a result. rest totally! call in sick to work even (which i dont usually do if im not training) and give your body the absolute rest it needs to get back on form. rather than grumbling on for ages your sickness might be gone in a day or two. then take it eay first couple of days back with gentle swims and jogs.

plus lots of nutritious food... (this is when i have to go to my mam's!!!) x

p.s. get well soon!!!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I had a tickly cough last Friday night, woke up Saturday morning with a bad throat and by Sunday had the the full works, including the kind of rattly cough that means you can stop buying chewing gum. Nice.

Much as I hate to do it I've had a complete week off training and have just stayed at home and tried to eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg (like normal) and take vitamin tablets - dunno if that last bit works but I have to feel I'm doing something.

Anyway, today I feel much better - chest is almost clear, nose works again, sore throat has gone. I'll be going for a gentle experimental run today. If it feels OK I'll swim a bit later (not the 9km monster session I challenged myself to do on another thread!).

I'm pretty certain I'll be out there on the start line for the Eastleigh 10k on Sunday. If I'd kept training there's no way I would have got better so quickly.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    A bloke in work has a horrible looking cold. I am avoiding him.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    A bloke in work has a horrible looking cold. I am avoiding him.

Edit - generally if I am ill I don't bother training.

If anyone's into their herbal stuff (no, not that sort!) I can recommend echinacea tea, specifically Twinings echinacea and raspberry. It seems better at warding off colds than clearing them up once you have them.

(Sorry, quoted my own post rather than edited it [sm=rolleyes.gif])
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Thanks guys for reinforcing my decision to stay off the training til I feel better. I've been feeling so guilty for not doing anything other than lounging about and coughing at people!