Home Chat General Chat

Body position during pull stroke??

Ok well let me see what I can help with. To reduce the drag you should be almost on your side when your right hand is in front, a good catch and pull and having your thumb touch your thigh. At this point your left arm should already be starting the pull and you should have rotated onto your other side.

I will try find a clip of this for you. Let me have a look.

Ok found a nice powerpoint of a course I did. How can I get it to you?

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Good day to you all......

.....I continue to train to become telford's weirdest swimmer! I've had some great help from a fellow forum goer and since then have been working hard on 'high elbows'. Firstly, my right arm form (i'm right handed) seems a lot better (easier) to get right than my left arm - i wondered how common this is? But more importantly i wanted to get some feedback on the following.....

....what should my body position be (rotation) when pulling with each arm? For example (get your visualisation hats on), when pulling with my right arm, should my left shoulder be high, or my right? This may sound basic but after a few sessions working hard on the high-elbow technique i have found that i'm not always in the same position! This happens most of the time when i breath, for example, when i breath right - my rotation is right shoulder up, and therefore my next pull is left arm, but my left shoulder is low and i've found this an issue when trying to keep elbows high. Sorry for the complexity!

Would love to get a consensus on the best rotation/pull/recovery/breath cycle.

Thanks [:D]

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi lappiesza

You can reach me at gary.roberts101@googlemail.com

would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    lappiesza

me too please [email=cate.langley@btinternet.com]cate.langley@btinternet.com[/email]

as I was told off last night by a swim coach who couldn't bear watching me anymore about my rotating onto side[&o]
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Gary, have you been doing any drills? I always find that the one-arm drills work well if I don't feel like I'm rotating properly. You should be able to find drills on YouTube for this sort of thing. You could try the Torpedo drill as well - it's hard enough to make you feel like you're really working! And don't lift your head - turn it, along with the rest of your body. That's the theory, anyway.

SwimForTri have a lot of useful info and videos on their pages, including the following:

The shoulders will ideally roll from one vertical plane to the other (left shoulder to chin, then right shoulder to chin). If we can develop this ideal swimming position you will have a smaller frontal area of resistance than when you were solely swimming flat.

http://www.swimfortri.com/teachmeth-adv.asp

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Cheers gary much appreciated