Home Chat General Chat

Can you use a SRAM quick link on a shimano chain?

Hey guys,

I am currently building a new bike and was wondering if there would be any problems fitting a SRAM Quick Link to a Shimano Dura-Ace Chain??

I think the quick link is an excellent idea but the packaging says only use on Sram chains. I cant think of anything that would cause a prob? I may have overlooked something though...

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    I think the answer is no, I would imagine the pin sizes and diameters will be different. They also use different joining mechanisms, with sram using the quicklink, and shimano use a really annoying replacement pin that you have to push in, snap off then file down.

It would probably be easier to just get a sram chain as it can be used on the shimano drivetrain
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    The answer could be a surprising YES.

I had problems tweaking my new S1's gears, it is equipped with Campagnolo Record, I brought to my LBS who sorted it all out by adding in an extra link a Sram Quick Link. So it might work for Shimano
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Im a cycle engineer.The answer is yes,you can,there is no difference in the pin lenths,cyclist mix match chains all the time as long as you get the right connector,i.e 9 speed,10 speed,depending on what system you have,it should be fine,when installing make sure you remove two outer plates from the same link(also known as a widelink) and then install the quick link.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Cheers guys... I didnt think there would be a prob long as it was both on a 10 speed system..

I checked the connecting pin out on the Dura ace chain and decided to use that just as quick to install as the quick link. ill have a quick link in my race repair kit I carry during the longer events so at least I have something just in case:)