Home› Chat› General Chat

Nervous

Ok,

Got my first tri tomorrow, been training all winter to give myself a solid base to work from this year.

Not confident about my swimming, cycling should be fine and run will be ok.

I'm doing a sprint at Edinburgh Uni and I'm not sure what sort of time I should be looking to post, but one things for sure I'm not wanting to be last!!!!

Anyway, anyone got a checklist so to speak of items they take with them (apart from the obv.)?

I know I'll prob not sleep tonight for thinking about it. I just don't know what to expect but at the same time I'm sooo looking forward to it.

Cheeerrrrsss

Comments

• Shadowone1

I'm in the same position as you.....I have my first tri on Sunday, and, yes, I'm seriously nervous too! So sorry no advice to offer re your question!!!!

As with you, my big issue is the swim....this has been a major challenge for me since I decided to enter a tri at Christmas! No idea what to expect re the swim, with 3,4,5? people sharing a lane at once! I think I will have a major sense of relief as I wobble from the pool to find my bike.

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you!
  • Shadowone,

Probably a bit too organised for some, but I have a check list on Excel that I can email you if you want. I'm not saying its got everything on there but when I did my Tri's last year I didn't seem to be missing anything!!!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Just relax and enjot it

I suspect like most of us you dont feel you could win your first tri, but it will help you become more confidant for the next one.

Get a good nights sleep if you can, get up early and have a good breakfast, and drink a bottle of water if you can.

Leave for the event in plenty of time, and drink a bottle on thw way,just little sips you need to get plenty of fluid inside you.

Once there just go with the flow, look around, every person there will be worried to, but enjoy the day.

Make sure you take something to eat for when you get back from the run, you will need it, mostly protein would be good, couple of chicken breasts or some tuna.

But most of all enjoy it ( have i said that), let us know how you get on.

where is it
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    link here for a basic check list

http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Good look :D

As said above relax and enjoy it - aim to finish first of all - dont overdo the swim. Don't panick and you will be fine. Give yourself plenty of time to look around the transition areas and see the entry and exit points and where you will pick up and leave your bike etc.

Set youself a benchmark figure for your next one but don't worry about times for your first one.

I recently did my first ever competitive event, a duathlon, and set my target of 1 hr 10 mins and did a 1hr 1min 46 - so was well chuffed ;) This was based roughly on my times for each event in training, plus a little bit extra ;).

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    GOOD LUCK [:D]
  • jasonculljasoncull Posts: 36
    Good Luck. My first isn't till June but I got nervous just reading this :)

I would love a copy of that check list too..... jasoncull@fsmail.net
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    just make sure you finish with a sprint finish, a big smile and wave to the crowd...
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Best of luck,being nervous is only natural.Chaucer said that the two biggest fools in his Canterbury tales were Fearless and Dreadnought.As soon as you hit the water they will disappear leaving you to get on with the job and enjoying it,if you happen to make a mistake don't over think the problem.Just watch some of the so called experienced athletes and see them make mistakes,we look forward to your race report on Sunday/Monday.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    well I managed my first tri in 1hr 40m was well chuffed but disappointed at the same time.

Can I just say thank you to those who wished me luck... Its really appreciated.

My main prob was inexperience. just didn't know what to expect and then when I was put in the first heat I was bricking myself.

Still loveed the experience (even when I fell after clipping into my pedals _ funnily enoughI laughed as conehead said in a prev thread that it would happen)

The bike section had a massive head wind that to be honest I wasn't able to cope with as my gear selection was terrible.

The run, well first lap was terrible as I've never experienced jelly legs like it. Point to note, a brick session of a turbo will not prepare you for jelly legs..... I was a mess trying to run the first lap.

Second lap was fine and I even managed a sprint to the end.

Summary..... loved it. Feel chuffed to bits.

Happy Days

• pippip Posts: 170
    Well done mate.i`ve got my first tri sprint in May and have been training for months,nerves and all sorts of things can happen on the day,still i hope you enjoyed as much as you expected [:D]
  • nice one fella ....

been reading with interest, cant wait for mine now!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Summary..... loved it. Feel chuffed to bits.

Bravo!

Well done and congratulations. When's the next? [:D]
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Congrats! I remember doing my first one the legs really hurt....(I found always doi9ng a short run off any bike sesh works well to condition)

so another one falls to the addiction that is tri-ing...onwards and upwards

I.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Great work Shadowone1!

I've hit so many head-winds in training recently - and they always make life 100 times harder.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Well done[:)]
  • jasonculljasoncull Posts: 36
    Absolutley well done mate...I am looking forward to mine but not the jelly legs....good on YA!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Congratulations :D - glad you got through it ok and I see you are already looking forward to your next one ;)

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Good stuff now stop basking in it and use the experience to train better! Well done
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    well done dude,

Did you get that feeling after that you cant wait for the next one? i know after each race i finish i have my post curry then cant wait to get out on the road again! (my legs tell me otherwise tho)...