Home Chat General Chat

nutrition advice- nibbling on cereal

training for my second iron man, I think my general nutrition is reasonable but I find myself nibbling alot on cereal for a small snack when I am feeling hungry. For example- just before bed or in the middle of the night.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or thoughts on better nutritional snacks. Or is what I am doing ok.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Conehead wrote:
    I was about to open a whole can or worms - so I'll leave it at that.....

I think you'll find that's basically all protein. Now, if you had the worms with the cereal..

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Completly understand what conehead says but.

If its your second ironman and its not causeing you problems, whats the problem sort of thing.

I often go for a bowl of cerial at all times of the day, beats eating shite. and if its not affecting your training, i cant see the problem.

• please dont tell me my jordans country crisp is bad for me...

im on 2 bowls a day sometimes 3, o god, i'm going to need counselling
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    thanks for thoughts, have you got a suggested website that can calculated calories per day, and suggested meal plans etc...

my shreddies bill is going through the roof!

on the jordans crisp, it is for sale at £1.39 in home bargains if you have those shops near you!
  • will google it now... cheers mate, it was on sale in sainsburys once and i sweeped the shelf (BOGOF) i was like a man possesed
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    mate dont get into the habit of counting calories, fitness just does not work that way.

Losing weight, weight watchers does.

if your hungry eat, but eat healthy, a good well balanced diet.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Few cereals fall into the healthy catagory, just look a those added sugar numbers.

This has been an announcement on behalf of the porridge marketing board.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I reckon you'd be better off necking a slow-release protein shake before bed or a tub of cottage cheese than having carbs.

Sleep-time is repair time for your muscles - give them a slow drip protein and it will help your recovery. I find it also helps keep you fuller longer.

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    "conehead" do you have any calorie calculators that you would recommend? or indeed any suggested meal plans you give your athletes that you could share?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    usain bolt and his chicken nuggets!
  • Protien and sawdust at night will help you sleep better.

I like protien shakes before i goto bed, also gives you funky dreams.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have formulated my own new diet in conjunction with a new training programme. See the "what training..." thread for my daily programme - if you are interested. My daily diet is virtually carb free

Breakfast fruit,seeds honey and fresh fruit juice

Lunch small tuna roll (thats' the main carb)

Dinner mixed vegetables and a can of tuna -steamed and served with spices

NO SNACKS, NO ALCOHOL

Powerbar berry drink during turbo sessions

I am getting enough energy to train daily, I am losing weight as expected and I am healthy

This is not easy but I am very self disciplined and at least think I know what I'm at!

My main reason for this conceited boast is that I have put all my disappointing performances in Olympic distance tri, IM and IM 70.3 down to having been overnourished/overweight

Stay skinny, stay hungry and eat lots whilst exercising? Discuss

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Treefrogs diet isn't looking virtually carb free to me...fruit, honey, powerbar drink...remenber a lump of tuna isn't a lump of protein, there is still carbs & fat there, not much & if that plan is working as Conehead says thats all good.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    My daily diet is virtually carb free

Breakfast fruit,seeds honey and fresh fruit juice

Lunch small tuna roll (thats' the main carb)

Dinner mixed vegetables and a can of tuna -steamed and served with spices

NO SNACKS, NO ALCOHOL

Powerbar berry drink during turbo sessions
    Hmm.. Carbs are sugar and starch, so are found in veg/fruit

Fruit: lots of sugars == carbs

Seeds: Quite a bit of carbs in there - but good quality ones!

Honey: Sugar == carbs

Fruit Juice: Sugar == carbs

Your breakfast looks to be predominately carbs - and mainly sugar.

Lunch: Roll == carbs

Dinner: Mixed Veg == carbs (not that much, depending on the veg, as there will also be fibre and protein)

Powerbar berry drink == sugar == carbs

I'm no nutritionist, but it looks like you are eating a reasonably balanced diet - i.e. a fair amount of carbs in relationship to proteins.

What your are skipping, is all the heavily processed carbs from the staples - wheat, rice etc.

Your breakfast is a bit sugar high (i.e. high GI carbs, which is probably OK for a pre training session), but something like oats (porridge) might be better!