Home Chat General Chat

Most impressive race locations?

JulesJules Posts: 987
Not a triathlon but I saw this:-

http://www.petra-marathon.com/. Petra would be a stunning place to run round.

It got me thinking that some folks must have raced in some impressive spots. The tris I have done so far have been in flat boring places!

Comments

• If I wasn't in your book Conehead, I'd be swearing at you right now!!! Alright for some. My "luxury" Tri this year is in the New Forest, which come to think of some of the Tri's I did last year, will probably look a little bit like Hawaii. (just without the heat)
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    transition in the Blenheim Palace courtyard - now thats pretty spectacular . We've got some great scenery and locations here to do tri's .

You've just gotta get outside of the M25 prson walls...
  • Conehead wrote:

I'll let you know how Hawaii is at end of May. Don't hate the player....

you're goit us have evey detail!!! im excited for you!! would love to do that! x
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Conehead wrote:

I'll let you know how Hawaii is at end of May. Don't hate the player....

All that rock looked rather dull on TV [;)]
  • ironman nice.

fucking a.

bike ride, the buildings along the prom, i loved it all.

i will never for get the swim,how the stones on the seebed come in to view as you aproached the shore{twice}
  • well if i can make the bike cutoffs on my red beast i have been telling you about in the other threads, im sure you would fly it.

i am going to return next year, 1 stone lighter,{nearly there allready} and with the beast tricked out weight wise. and have some real fun passing pretenders on the climbs.

i have to get austria out of the way first though.

i love the suffering it seems[:D]
  • keep an eye out for the bolton imuk, some stunning surrounding area's weather permitting, may require a pretenders tripple ring for that one though...
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Two races I'd love to do;

1. Lac Chalain triathlon in the Jura Mountains in France. Swimming in a mountain lake surrounded by forests and cliffs and the roads are made for cycling on.

2. Quelle Challenge Wanaka. I spent a bit of time in Wanaka a few years ago. Stunning surroundings and a great feel to the place.

• is the ironman uk not out of sherbourn/yeovillany more?
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    For UK tri's Windsor not bad, the cycles in the countryside and the run is around the castle and Eton college, cobbled but pleasant
  • i enjoyed the sherbourn swim by the castle.
  • it was great for the skin.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i love swimming in the thames.....think the docks is pretty cool. but i only say it quietly to myself....
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I'm considering registering for Monaco's 70.3 this year. Seems like the racing there would be amazing. The entry fee is a real hurdle though, and I'm sure hotel/flight/everything-else-Monaco-related will be similarly financially crippling. Although... nothing about this sport has been cheap, so at least it should be enjoyable to do, right?

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

I worked in Embrun for PGL for a season about ten years ago. I reckon for scenery that's a pretty nice place for an ironman distance event. Shame about the insane climb from Embrun to Briançon, really [;)]

I'm doing Lisbon 70.3 in four weeks (if my flight and accommodation details ever come through - starting to look definitely shaky now) which will be my most exotic race to date and looking forward to a bit of early season warmth.

I've been to Nice and Monaco and I reckon that would be a very nice environment to race in too. Does either one go up the Madone?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    jon_g.... I was going to keep quiet about it, but you have inspired me: "My name is Bopo and I love the London Triathlon!".

There, I've said it.

Actually, to be more specific I love the 'Westminster' variant of the bike route - the one you do if you have an a.m. start time.

To be even more specific, I liked zipping along Embankment towards the Houses of Parliament, London Eye opposite, all the sights etc.... so yes, technically I like about 500m of the London Tri. The section through the tunnel is quite good too....

...erm... Oh, sod it. I'm just jealous 'cos I'd love to do Switzerland but can't afford it and I'm too crap to ever get to Hawaii.

Just googled and found there's a triathlon in Yosemite, California - probably the most jaw-droppingly beautiful place I have ever seen - that would be amazing.
    i'd love to do the escape from alcatraz race. jumping off the ferry before the start would be pretty cool!
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Alcatraz...the swim would be mighty fast as you keep a look out for all the shadows lurking in the depths, that would surely spur to on for a new pb. SF Bay, one of the biggest wite shark breading grounds in the world.
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I really fancy doing the Alcatraz race too, but I have signed up for this years Monaco 70.3 which should be amazing, pending making the cut off times!!!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I think everyone who's been lucky enough to get a spot agrees, Alcatraz is really the pinnacle of 'cool' as far as triathlon goes. That would be one worth trying to get in every year even if you've got to fly for 12 hours.
    ooo, oo, and the one in vegas. the roads look amazing and the scenery must be awe inspiring
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I haven't done it but the escape from alcatraz (miss spelt) must be up there in the best place for a tri as you have the back drop of the island and the golden gate bridge and a ride round san fran
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Norseman anyone?

http://www.nxtri.com/mainmenu.asp?refnr=24

Maybe next year eh?
    thats the one i was thinking of conehead, the silverman. seen some photo's from the swim and bike leg and it looks so desolute. and no cars on the roads. i'd love to do that. maybe i'll suggest vegas as a stop off for our honeymoon next year and then sneakily suggest that i do the silverman.....wonder what the new WAT would be on that??