Home Chat General Chat

Transition 1

i have a question about Transition1. After i run out of the pool to change for the cycle...I assume i just leave my trunks on and pull on a pair of running shorts and a top, my helmet and jump on the bike (at the right place)...or do people acutally changr out of their trunks??

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    me again.

Most people buy a tri suit, this is a one peice suit desinged to do all three things in.

Or you can buy a pair of tri bottoms, and just chuck on a top in tran 1.

Ideally if you want to be quick, dont wear swim trunks.

What ever way you choose, buy them now and practice in them, the last thing you want is to find that they chafe as you ride or run in them.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    mmmm......got me thinking now.

I have a tri-suit, have been training in it for a couple of months (on the bike and running), but i've never been in the pool with it (i assumed it will make no difference to my swim), but now i'm thinking that the suit (when wet) might be less comfortable on the bike.

Can anyone offer insight into this?
  • Gary,

If your tri suit fits right you shouldn't have any discomfort on the bike. Anyway, the suit will dry pretty quick once you get going.
  • jasonculljasoncull Posts: 36
    By a Tri suit, i assuem you don't mean the kind of thing you'd wear in Open Water Tri's, just the lycra stuff??
    a try suit is a one piece outfit, shorts and a top joined basicly.

Openwater swims, that is a wetsuit.

Google try suit it will come up with pics.
    and yes they do dry but you still need to check, you dont want to get to race day and find you have a problem.

You need to test everything before hand from your Nutrition, through your ability to change an inner tube quickly, and all other little bits and bobs.

As i've been told many times over the years

The 7 P's

Prior planning and PREPERATION prevents piss poor performance.
    Although I doubt very much with how I will look on the day after the swim but I am a biggish bloke. I currently weigh 17st 10lb, although not a partucularly fat 17st. i just don't want to look like Daffid, the only gay in the village...what about the shorts themselves???
    In all fairness, I have recently bought myself decent swim shorts, so have kinda lost the fat bulge complex. I think I will go with the Tri Shorts along with the running tip for my chosen charity....bring on June 21st.
    I only wanted to get past him becuase the sight of him chewing his pants was disturbing me.

Quality mate, chuckle chuckle
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Jason

Do what i do, get a decent pair of tri shorts, i use orca then stick a nice loose running vest on when you get out of the water, you can ahave your number already attached and feel comfortable
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    We all look like gender confused fat blokes having a mid life crisis

....apart from us women of course.

blurredgirl

clarkey30 wrote:

Jason

Do what i do, get a decent pair of tri shorts, i use orca then stick a nice loose running vest on when you get out of the water, you can ahave your number already attached and feel comfortable

Good idea, thanks
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    garyroberts wrote:

I have a tri-suit, have been training in it for a couple of months (on the bike and running), but i've never been in the pool with it (i assumed it will make no difference to my swim), but now i'm thinking that the suit (when wet) might be less comfortable on the bike.

Close to a race I tend to do a couple of swim-bike bricks at my gym pool to get used again to the feel of wearing my trisuit (both wet and dry). I find that it makes me marginally more buoyant in the pool and my times come down, although it could be down to the sheer excitement of wearing red lycra!

The trisuit should wick water away once you're out of the swim leg, so once you're on the bike/run it will just be a bit damp... unless it's raining.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    garyroberts wrote:

My advice would be to kill two birds with one stone. I.e. get down to a lake and wear your tri suit under your wetsuit. When you get out go for a ride for about an hour and see how you feel. I'm sure it'll be fine.

This'll also give you a bit of insight into getting your wetsuit on and off, biking after swimming and other lovelly tri related things like that.

I'll be doing that as soon a my local lake opens. In fact it cant be long now, i must go and check...
    No wetsuit for me.....not yet anyways :). Only pool based swims for this brick.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Sorry. Couldn't even be arsed to read what other people have said.. just replying to what the original poster asked:

What do YOU think? Stand in a field/on a tennis court/in a car park/whatever whipping your speedos off, or think about having to cycle in what you swam in?

The race booklet (or failing thast the BTA web site) will tell you all about how you are not allowed to get naked in the open spaces of transition... what with 'exposure' being a criminal offence and all.

Will your speedos rub when cycling? Can vaseline solve the problem or do you need to get some other clothing?....

....or use the search link...
  • YES! VASALINE DOES WORK.....................

Sorry, what were we talking about ?
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Although I doubt very much with how I will look on the day after the swim but I am a biggish bloke. I currently weigh 17st 10lb, although not a partucularly fat 17st. i just don't want to look like Daffid, the only gay in the village...what about the shorts themselves???

haha quality.

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259

Same here. v comfy.