Home Chat General Chat

First Ironman Bike Advice

Hi everyone. This is a great forum for general advice for new people like me so I thought I'd ask a question about bike choice for the 2009 UK Ironman

I've already got a Cervelo carbon soloist that I'm happy doing century rides on etc and and wondering whether it would be better to stick with that and just buy a set of aerobars and a saddle or go the whole hog and get another Tri specific bike.

I've heard that the Cervelo will be fine but are there any other opinons?

Comments

• TRIrattiTRIratti Posts: 2
    'Buying what looks the fastest' is the weakness I think I might be suffering from!

Good sensible advice though. I'll see what happens.

Cheers[:)]
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Doesn't the soloist have a reversible seatpost to move you forward to a more TT position to accomodate tri bars?
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    i would definately stick with the road bike, i was in same dilemma recently, but speaking to other roadies they say the tt bikes level of comfort diminishes after about 60+ miles. unless very experienced on a tt bike for the ironman distance, i would defo stick with road
  • John DJohn D Posts: 11
    I have to agree with conehead. I've done 3 ironman and obviously a few long rides. But everytime my upperback aches. In particular the 2nd vertibrae down on my spine feels like someone is pushing a knife in to it. Soon as i get off the bike the pain disappears.

I raised seat, lowered seat; seat forward, seat back, road bike with aerobars and without bars; and tt bike all to no avail.

so I put it down to the joy of Ironman and grit me teeth and get on with it

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Stick to the Cervelo slc, but experiment with the ride position and aerobars. Try the more aggressive seatpost angle - this may mean buying a converter for your seat post if it is post 2007 - also try different aerobar and handlebar set-ups do them on your centuries.

For an IM remember that you have a marathon to do after the cycle so comfort can give as much advantage as a radical aero set up.

The most important things re.the bike in IM I learned were make small calculated adjustments at a time and to train with your race set-up