Home Chat General Chat

Is it me, or are Men's Fitness magazines completely homoerotic?

OK, It's the weekend. Specifically, the day before the race, so no reason to go out in the sleet for a 5 hour lactate threshold workout. So, as I sit here visualising my race: crossing the line in first place, neatly shaved arms aloft, my mind can't help wondering to these incredibly important matters.

Last year, for the first time, I bought a copy of "Men's Fitness" - I think there was some triathlon training feature, or some such. Anyway, since then, I've bought a few copies - I travel on the train a lot, so it is good reading for a journey or two. I like the articles on workouts - lots of good ideas for new exercises/lifts/routines/whatever to try; and variety is the spice of life. The pictures to show you how it is done are good, so you don't make a fool of your self trying to work the adductor machine with your hands. The nutrition bits aren't too bad. Some of the adverts are quite good. I do hate the articles about "I'm could have that Charles Bronson in a knuckle fight", or "How I bit off my own snake bite infected leg, and then slashed my way through 3,000 miles of jungle using my gnawed femur as a machete".

But, I'm increasingly struggling to purchase it because I find the magazine so covertly gay (nothing wrong with being gay of course, it's just that I prefer a bit of honesty and openness). I'm so uncomfortable that I always feel a bit like I should be hiding it under a copy of "Attitude", or wedged between the pages of the Guardian Media supplement. Of course, it never admits to it, but with articles with titles like "with our 10 minute path to abs like a freezer pack of sausages, you _can_ get the girl", you have to think, C'mon, guys, if you just spent a few minutes less staring at pictures of well ripped buff young gentlemen in their pants, you would be far more likely to "get the girl". If that's what you want.

So, is it time Men's Fitness/Men's health were outed?

Or is it just me.

I'm sure some of you whey slurping gym bunnies have an insight.

Well, the Missus is out shopping, so I'm off for a cold shower and to settle down to watch my DVD of "300".

Comments

• personally i love the cover of mens fitness.. heheh [:)] x
  • lol, absolutly,

notice the guy on the front is always looking down with a knowing smile?

i also am not homeaphobic ( im not affraid of my house ) however when i get my maxi maximuscle stuff delivered to work it gets left at my table in the canteen 1day it got put on the wrong desk it got opened and since then the pages of the free magazine that comes with it have been plastered everywhere!!! behind my desk in the toilets behind doors, under toilet seats so when you lift it up they're staring back at you [;)]...

I really do get some stick because of it
  • and they dont come in red..... or do they conehead????
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Errrrr, yes, very!!!!!!!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    MG wrote:

Errrrr, yes, very!!!!!!!

Absolutely excellent!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    The thing about that mag and mag's like it there not for real people like you and me, i think there no differant to the womens mags, its pretty people who dont work 9-5, and they can spend the time makeing themself look perfect.

Most of the pictures are of male models who get paid to work out all day 5/6 hours ( nothing wrong in that cause if they could do it, then so could we all), then they get stuck in a mag and people think its really acheivable.

Its not, not for an average joe anyway.

Not without years and years of hard work and dedication.

I will add that i dont buy it anymore, i've switched to cycling weekly, and as much as i love 220 its getting right on my goat at the mo.

They should include a season following a normal guy going to work and training and competing in races.

• Errrrr, yes, very!!!!!!!

where do i sign?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    On a slightly different slant, I stopped buying Ultrafit magazine many years ago when it began to fill with pictures of women in 'nearly' exercise kit, ripped in strategic places, pouting all over the place etc, because I felt slightly embarrassed reading it on public transport. As mentioned I do like a good body, appreciate the athletic form etc, but there is a line & if I want a mag like that..I will buy one (& not read it on the train..). So good point well made Jack, I have a feeling that Triathletes World may slide that way.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Britspin wrote:

I have a feeling that Triathletes World may slide that way.

Did it not start that way, with a female triathlete posing in her tri-suit?
  • Have to agree that a copy of Men's Health would increase gaydar score by a huge amount....

As a girly though, I don't feel that our women specific mags are too bad - I don't feel like a lesbian when I read Zest for example - although personally I'd rather read something sport specific - general fitness ones seem a bit general - likewise with the "yoga got me through my period hell" and similar articles. Fine for a long train journey but otherwise I'll skip it...

Hence my suspicions...isn't it published by the Zest people?
    Rumbled..it was to distract attention away from my supermodel looks.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Britspin wrote:

Rumbled..it was to distract attention away from my supermodel looks.

Didn't you pose for one of the Powerade adverts?
    They begged & threw money, what can a man do?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Isn't this supposed to be a thread about the magazines being homoerotic?

They begged & threw money, what can a man do?

Wrong.

They begged & threw money, what is a girl to do?

There. Fixed that for you.

They begged & threw money, what is a girl to do?

Possibly stepped waaay beyond homoerotic there..
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    @ Jelly belly; I find those Womens mags so dull! There are always one or two articles that are ok but there is waaay too much on the whole 'I went on a Yoga retreat' (yawn) and 'Let's meet so and so C list celebrity's personal trainer'. Not forgetting the wonderful 'sports fashion' spreads which seem to feature a lot of scary looking girls wearing 80s flouro gear with leg warmers and headbands etc. I'd die if I had to wear that to the gym....

@ the boys- yes those Mens Health mags always look a bit, erm, homoerotic as you say- it's not actually that attractive anyway especially when they are all oiled up...yuk. Some of us prefer the odd imperfection believe it or not!

p.s. I thought the Jpeg above was hilarious- fudge packing ha ha ha.