Home Chat General Chat

Sun Protection: Are sports specific lotions any good?

OK, being the sensible fellow that I am, when I started to get fit back in 2007, I thought "I'm going to be outside a lot more than I have been; better start thinking about a lotion of some sort with an SPF factor".

I hate wearing sun tan lotion (too greasy!), so quickly settled on a moisturiser (they're called something poncey when targeted at men, but the stuff is the same). I've tried a few - Boots seems to be about the best (SPF15, reasonable coverage, not too greasy etc. etc.).

However, when you do run hard, it does interfere with sweating a bit - makes you sweat a bit more, then the sweat doesn't really evaporate in the same way - lots of large droplets as if it is raining. This kind of puts me off using it.

But when I look at the faces of the elite triathletes, like Chrissie Wellington, they do look rather like well tanned leather, but with wrinkles, so it is probably worth while have some kind of sun protection.

I'm just browsing wiggle (looking for a number belt) and noticed that there is a range of "sports specific" SPF lotions. I was wondering if anyone had tried them, and if they are any better/different to conventional lotions/moisturisers.

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I have used Boots own brand sports suncream, well its a spray actually, which is very light, non greasy & suits me fine, except when I do swaet & sweat runs into eyes..so does stinging cream , I have no solution (pardon the pun) to that prob. Last year they had a scalp protector, lip balm & general protection spray, worth a look.
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Was watching the cricket last night, (yes very bored), and a few of the new zealanders were covered in sun cream that didnt run or fade all day long. So there must be something out there, i got burnt to pieces at Blenheim last year so really need some this year.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Ooh. I'm doing Blenheim this year and being both ginger and slow I could be at risk of some proper sunburn! But if you're doing a wetsuit swim, should you put sun lotion on before the wetsuit (a while before so it's absorbed), or would it be pointless?

Apologies for jumping on the thread. By the way, when cycling I just use Boots Soltan; all the muck from the road will stick to you once you've got it on but I kinda like that effect........
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Boots stuff has done well for me, and specifically at Blenheim last summer. I put it all over my shoulders, neck and face before zipping up my wetsuit since I didn't want to worry about it after running up that hill. Worked perfect. I dont' like using it on my forhead for the above mentioned sweating issues, but on the rest of my face it goes. Pretty rub-proof and lasts a few hours.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    When I have been on dinghy sailing holidays in the past I have used proderm sun-protection mousse. As it is absorbed by the skin I found that even capsizing the amount I did I rarely got burnt in the Caribbean sun and it would also last a whole day (although not recommended). It didn't make my eyes hurt too much when it got washed into them, although it may have just been the salt water making them sting. Used to get it from Matalan but Sainsbury sell it now.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Sun protection and sport are not the best mix! I use a PIZ BUNN sport sun crea, that seems to disappear into the skin but after a good sweet it starts to run in my eyes. I think that all sun pretection is going todo the same by its very nature if rubbed into the skin then it has to come back out with sweet.