Home Chat General Chat

HRM - How to use and which one?

Morning,

I've a mate who swears by them so just about to buy my first HRM (on a budget) - has anyone got one of these http://www.cardiosport.com/graphx.html or can anyone suggest something better at a similar price (£50 - £60).

Also - going to start using it in the bike initially - can someone help with how to get the best out of it. (if it matters/helps i'm training for a sprint this year, olympic next).

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• Hi,

Don't know anything about the cardiosport one but can thoroughly recommend Polar - they were recommended by a serious tri mate and I love mine! Wiggle have got 20% off selected HRMs at the mo, so you could get an F6 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar_F6_Mens_Heart_Rate_Monitor/5360033130/

within your budget. Offer is only til end of March tho!

Have a look at the polar website - they have loads of interactive tools and you can upload your training diary from watch to online diary, which I think is neat. Have a look at polarpersonaltrainer.com

I've had the F11 for a couple of years now - I'm only just getting into tri so can't comment on its use there but as a general tool I think it's fab.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I like polar - I've switched to a Garmin 405 + HRM mainly because of a single integrated device - and I thought the Garmin GPS features had the edge over polar.

So, you need to think if you want GPS (speed, distance etc) as having everything integrated is good. I still use the polar though, especially for gym work. Have an a S410, which is a relatively basic model.

Good Points for Polar:

[ul]

[*]Reliable

[*]Functional

[*]Compatible with Gym equipment (although the more expensive devices use a different transmitter belt).

[*]The "own fitness" function, for me at any rate, has proved to be a reasonable and accurate approximation to VO2 Max.

[/ul]

Bad points for Polar:

[ul]

[*]Perhaps a bit expensive

[*]Needs to be sent back to polar to change batteries (every two to three years)

[/ul]

I love the garmin, especially the GPS features, the recharging function, the battery life.

Had it since Christmas, the only downside is that HRM readings are sometimes wildly out - e.g. double what they should be, and it takes an age for them to correct them selves.

I've not any experience of any other HRM devices (didn't like Timex GPS stuff much though)

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I am selling my polar RS200 in red if you are interested? Just had the chest strap replaced, so its brand new, still got till august on the warranty.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar_RS200_Running_Heart_Rate_Monitor/5360020404/

Looking for about £50 + postage [:D]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    What are you replacing it with, if anything?
    I started training with paces rather than just heart rate, so I got a garmin 305.

The polar was ace, I borrowed one for a while, one of the Fs i think F2 or 3, it was really good, so i thought I would get one. It has some really good interval options that I used to like using, but as the garmin has a HRM on it I havent used it in months.
    I'd agree with you on the garmin by the way, its heart rate can go a bit crazy!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I am selling my polar RS200 in red if you are interested?

Thanks for the offer - i didn't check the forum this morning and ordered the Cardiosport. Last time i do that [:D]