Home Chat General Chat

Tri and Run

Has anybody else had problems with Tri and Run bikes/sales? I had heard some mixed reviews about their bikes (new framed snapped, gear problems) but liked the look of the them so ignored the advice. Got through last season ok (gears were a bit of a problem on the hillier courses) but just found out today the back wheel is completely knackered after only 9 months. They tell me they are not under warranty either and need to be replaced.

Maybe I have just been unlucky but bit disappointed with their bike and after service...

Comments

• DaniDani Posts: 1
    I have the basic tri and run racing bike and had quite a few problems with the gears. I mentioned it for the first service but still found it jumped and slipped after the service. Wheels a bit creaky on mine too and seem a bit heavy.

The frame and forks seem quite nice but I suppose you get what you pay for. In hindsite I would look around for a 2nd hand bike where you would get much more for your money or maybe pay a bit more for a better bike.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Dani wrote:

I have the basic tri and run racing bike and had quite a few problems with the gears. I mentioned it for the first service but still found it jumped and slipped after the service. Wheels a bit creaky on mine too and seem a bit heavy.

The frame and forks seem quite nice but I suppose you get what you pay for. In hindsite I would look around for a 2nd hand bike where you would get much more for your money or maybe pay a bit more for a better bike.

Similar for me. They sold me a frame that was WAY too big, insisting that it was a perfect fit, and because I'd never had a racing bike before assumed it would take some time to adapt to. I feel rediculous admitting that.

Aside from that, the rear derailleur has been serviced by them 4 times now. Also when I first picked it up, they'd given me a rear wheel with a hub that rolled about as smooth as an asthmatic smoker's cough. At least they replaced the bum wheel on the spot.

I would be really reluctant to recommend anyone to them.

• I had real problems with them. I bought a bike off them and frame snapped after 6 months..! I went back to them and found the staff rude and unhelpful. They suggested I had been mis-using the bike and refused to help. I feel totally ripped off by them - I would definately not recommend them or use them again. V. arrogant and uncooperative.
  • lappieszalappiesza Posts: 36
    a week before i was off to vancouver for the worlds i contacted them regarding a bike or possible tt bike, still waiting for a reply! But i have time!
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    I have to say I found them very unhelpful too. They were friendly enough but the guy I dealt with was a bit dim or maybe even lazy. For gears that was slipping they took my bike for 10 days. I now know how easy it is to can't see why it wasn't done there and then...the shop was empty.

I wouldn't go near them in future. Much better service from Sigma sport, Up and Running and GB Cycles...even Evans (all in SW London too).

Dread to think what they are like at Gait assessment for running shoes...

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Seeing this thread I had a look at their £550 bike out of curiosity. I note they're not prepared to say what all of the components are...
    The wheels are prolite and even though they look pretty good my rear wheel lasted 9 months. I actually reported it didn't sound quiet right after 3 months...told it was normal. The front and rear derailers are Shimano Sora (what you tend to get on most bikes around that price). No idea what the brakes and other components are...maybe left over from scrap raleigh grifters.

I wouldn't recommened them myself. There fitting service was "how tall are you?" Then a quick look when I sat on it. Personally i don't think thats good enough for a bike fitting. It should take 45-60 mins and if possible on a trainer. I've since bought a Trek 1200 bike for £100 and its a much better bike. Better grade groupset, lighter and better fit. Bit older but at least the wheels go around without sounding like foxes in mating season.

Good luck though with whatever you go for...

Jules wrote:

Seeing this thread I had a look at their £550 bike out of curiosity. I note they're not prepared to say what all of the components are...

I'm thinking of buying one! I thought the lack of information was enlightening given this thread. It struck me their target market is people who might know what to look for when buying.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Jules wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one! I thought the lack of information was enlightening given this thread. It struck me their target market is people who might know what to look for when buying.

How tall are you? I'd get rid of mine...

Sorry, I meant I'm not thinking of buying one. Quite an important word to miss out really....
    I certainly wouldn't recommend them. Have little faith in prolite (they use them on every component less the frame and groupset), I've now heard two incidents of broken frames, rubbish groupset and poor technical back-up and customer service (adjusted the brakes today and found the rear brake was actually a front brake). I just think overall they are cheap and nasty. However, they are the UK's premier triathon store...
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I had real problems with them. I bought a bike off them and frame snapped after 6 months..! I went back to them and found the staff rude and unhelpful. They suggested I had been mis-using the bike and refused to help.

Point of order here: Irrespective of what the warranty was on your bike, the seller has an obligation to supply quality goods. If they become unuseable under normal use then they are liable in all or some part up to the full value. Usually shops or maunfacturers give you a warranty or guarantee that they will not quiblle about a full replacement for a period of 'whatever'. In law, for any period after 28 days I believe they can quibble.

The vendor has at least some liability for goods for a period typically extending up to six years after the sale. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer - it is entirely between you and the vendor. If they say you have misused the goods then the onus is on them to prove it.

So... and this applies to anything you buy that fails after its short warranty... you ask what contribution the shop are going to make. Then you write a letter and copy it to head office giving them 14 days to make an offer which suits you... depreciating by 20% per year is a good bench mark but stick to full value for 12 months for starters. If they do not keep you sweet then write a letter titled 'Letter Before Action' and tell them exactly how much money they owe you, including any additional transport costs because you have had to use other means than cycling to work etc., and importantly give them a deadline to respond. Again, 14 days would be normal.

If you are still unhappy then keep a copy of all correspondence and take them to the small claims court... you can find details here: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

I've done it. Do not let people steal your money through poor service or shoddy workmanship. I get sick of hearing "Well... you'll have to talk to the manfacturer". The correct response is "No.. I bought it off YOU."
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    actually Bop, i think the correct response is: ' i bought it FROM you' [:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Fair point. Long time since I've been nicked by the grammar police. [:@]
    After 2 services at Tri and Run and still bike cr*p for the 3rd service I went to Sigma sports in Kingston. Its like riding a new bike. Its better now then when it was new. Very impressed. They obviously have bike mechanics who know what they're doing and have a bit of pride in their work. Live and learn I suppose. I wouldn't buy an energy gel from tri and run...
  • Hi Guys

I received an e-mail relating to this thread and so have had a look and to be honest was a more than a little distressed to read the negative postings!

As the owner of triandrun and not on the shop floor all the time I do not always get to hear the criticism, which probably never gets to me!

I invite all of the people below to contact me thru here, am more than happy to have others watching what goes on as I want to be as transparent as possible but if you prefer use my direct mail which is triandrun@mac.com and I will deal with each and every enquiry.

At this stage I would like to say that all our bikes are sold with two year warranties and so whichever member of my team said that after 9 months there was not one, I would like to know who and in which shop.

As for frame failures I can say honestly that yes we have had them and I believe if my stats are right there have been 6 in the 9 years I have been retailing and I like to believe they were dealt with replaced or upgraded in every case. The frame failings were all in one batch and due to a failure in the production. We did recall all the other bikes in that batch and replace the frames.

As for being sold the wrong size bike, I'm lost for words but would like to hear about this so I can sort it out

The components used on our Racing bike are not hidden in anyway, its a shimano Sora drivetrain with Tetra brakes and Pro-lite cranks,and they are clearly marked as such, if you feel their is not enough info on that fact please tell me where it should have been stated.

As for our workshop, we have just had a re-vamp of staff and this should correct any problems there have been.

I'd like to believe that Im an honest and easy going bloke who can take this on the chin and be better for it, but I cant do that without your direct feedback.

I await the deluge eagerly

regards

greg bryce

Thanks for answering the thread Greg and it was myself who started it. I'll send you an e-mail and tell you what the problems have been.

Thanks Phil
  • Lenin21Lenin21 Posts: 3
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Holy crap Lenin!! Thats some first post, theres a guy on here needs help with a dissertation, u da man!!!
    I know, I know - a mammoth post, but as you can see, the whole experience has been awful and I could probably have spent the cash I've spent on trying to put everything right on a bike that fits and is specced as stated. Its just that until stumbling upon this thread, I presumed that I was the only one!

Gonna give Greg a ring now - top marks again to him again for taking it on the chin and offering to put things right. Fingers crossed...

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    OMG! lenin - that has got to be the worse luck I've ever seen!

i would never darken there doors, I would like to think that the wrong kit (worse spec) suff was a mistake, but they're really selling some poor stuff!

good luck for the future.

Are there any positive stories out there.........
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Thats one hellva bad experience. Funnily enough I was going through some back issues of 220 research some contenders for my new bike and I sat a few tri and run's.

Guess where my money won't be going.

It seem that people power does happen and when people come together to share their stories it does make a difference.

I wonder how Tri and Run feel now for the shoddy stuff that they've been selling???

Power to the People!!
    Hang fire folks,

Managed to speak to Greg from Tri and Run today.

The humility and determination to make amends stated in his earlier post was even stronger when I spoke to him.

Not to put too fine a point on it, he readily agreed to put everything right, even offering to pick the bike up if necessary. Signifigantly, it turns out that the 'staff revamp' he referred to in his post included dispensing with the services of the member of staff who we dealt with throughout our experience.

Greg genuinely seems mortified that shoddy customer care managed to find its way into a business he set up and has steadily been trying to build through good reputation for about 10 years now.

Hopefully, the shoddy customer experiences so many of us seem to have had will soon be seen as an unfortunate (and temporary) episode in Tri and Run's history.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted...