Home Chat General Chat

Turbo Trainer Buying advice

Ok with days getting longer and the weather getting better it doesn't sound the right time to buy a turbo trainer and peddle inside, but i feel the need...

So any buying advice please?

Local tri shop (Total fitness in Bath) have Minoura trainers M50, V150, VFS150 & V270 for sale.

Anyone have any experience with the above or any general advice

All i want to do is hook the bike up easily put my headphones on, head down and peddle.

I remember when i seen one before they had to replace the quick release skewer, also do they have much effect on your road tyres?

Cheers

Griff[8D]

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Can't report on experience - as mine only arrived last week, and I've only got half way through assembling it. Too many distractions.

I can recount the decision making process that I went through

Key points: Cost v. Functionality.

It all depends on how you plan your training. I went for more of an ergonometer model - so I can measure power output, cadence, heart rate, etc. etc.

The model also supports both 26 and 27 inch wheels, so I can use with MTB and road bike.

I checked ratings on bikeradar.com and this forum. So I went for a Tacx Flow - the entry level ergo.

It also requires a power outlet, which may be a factor, depending where you are using it.

Noise may also be a factor.

If all you want is "get on and ride" simplicity, then traditional rollers may be more suited to, as you don't have to fiddle about with anything - just drop the bike on and off you go. You also get to practice balance and falling off. Modern version have resistance settings to.

Everything else falls in between - the Tacx range is pretty comprehensive...

Hope that helps!
  • I have a Tacx Satori. Not quite as advanced as Jacks but then probably not as expensive either. I find that the Satori is easy to set up. It folds up so can easily be put away and the bike just clips in. Its pretty sturdy, I've done a few of the Spinerval DVD's on it and its held up when you go for the big pushes.

Not much else to say....
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    CycleOps Fluid 2, I love mine.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    second for the cycleops fluid 2.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    cyclopes fluid 2 and a couple of spinervals dvd for me as well.
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I have the Minoura VFS150, and I think it is fantastic. Admittedly, it is my first trainer so I have no comparison. However, I find it very quiet - I have it set up in my lounge so I can watch TV/films with out cranking the volume up, it is stable, and easy to hook the bike up to.

To answer your questions about the skewer and tyres - It did come with a new skewer which the shop recommended I fitted so I have, and it is relatively light and stays on the bike all the time. As for the tyres I use Armadillos and have had no issues with them. I would highly recommend getting the raiser/support for the front wheel to level out the bike.

Hope that helps, if you want anymore info let me know

Jamie
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Thanks for all the advice folks.

i've done a bit more looking on the internet and the cyclopes fluid 2 seems a good choice.

Time to head the local shops and dig out the wallet again.[:)]