Home Chat General Chat

Transporting a bike

jacjac Posts: 452
Hi guys,

Just wondering what you all use to transport your bikes around?

Roof rack? Towbar rack? Boot?

Any recommendations? And, if you use racks, do you cover your bike?

Wrecked my old car by squeezing my old MTB into the boot!

Thanks in advance,

jac

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    There was a thread on this a short while ago.

Summary

[ul]

[*] Carry them inside is best (fuel + Safety)

[*] Tow bar mounted + trailer board is most fuel efficient for outside

[*] Roof rack is safest with a specific carrier (can fix securely) but least efficient

[*] Hatchback/tailgate system is cheapest/easiest to fit, needs a trailer board though

[/ul]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hi Jac

Hers the link to my thread about the same stuff.

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=30228&mpage=1&key=cycle%2Ccarrier&#30228

I have now decided not to make one as the finish would not be easy to produce.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Thanks guys, must have missed that thread.

Will investigate a bit further..
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Or buy a Mercedes A class with optional extra internal bike carrier. As Lady Britspin is the driver here, this is how I avoid WAT, lead her to Mercedes, flatter her with how cool it looks..a Mercedes, not a Peugeot, not a Volkwagen...a Mercedes. You always wanteda Merc....oh look! theres a bike rack specially made, your Dolce won't have to rub against my Tarmac (that doesn't look right written down) etc etc. Lo & behold Merc purchased & put into use. anything I buy not up to that level, I get a few years tax free.
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I always carry my bike in the car as it protects it's choose my car for that purpose I have a verso , can put the bike in without removing anything and also have rest of my kit in there. Not the flashiest of car but ideal for us tri people as you can get three bike in if you remove the back wheel and a load of kit

paul