Home Chat General Chat

what is the best way to improve your times

what do you think is the best way to improve your times

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    New Kick? Is this is a football thread?

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I went for "none of the above".

"Loads of training" implies pure volume. The right kind of training is more important than volume - choosing the appropriate levels to meet you goals, the time you have available. The correct mix between quality, easy/recovery etc. "Loads of training" means injury and time wasted and hard to measure gains.

"Losing weight" is a by product of the appropriate nutrition and training regime - and will happen if you need to loose weight. It should not be a goal in itself.

"new kick" - I don't know what you mean - I thought it was "new kit". This can help - but only really once - e.g. swapping old bike for a new bike. Improving the engine is the long term solution.

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I would have thought loads of training would lead to the loss of (un-needed) weight and potentially a new kick (presume you mean in the swim not transition) being developed so I say all of the above can lead to better times!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I second jacks comments, more training does not equal improved times, more training without thinking about it carefully and listening to you body will equal overtraining, injuries and slower times. More intelligent training, set out a training plan at least a month in advance, with a consideration of what you need to work on. Make a list of key sessions, you don't need to set out where in the week they will go as it may depend on commitments/work where you can fit them in.

As an example here is mine

Bear in mind I am not running due to stress fracture recovery

Bike - 3 sessions

Sub - threshold continuous - Zone 3 - 1-2 hours

Cruise intervals on threshold - Zone 4 - 1 hour

Endurance - Zone 2-3 - 3-4 hours

Swim -

Sub threshold intervals - typically 200m on/50 off

Drills + speed work

Endurance - pyramids mostly building to 1k continuous

This is just an example of what I do this time of year, when I move into the build phase, about 2 months pre race season I will start adding intervals etc (and hopefully running)

And on weight loss, it depends on what weight your loosing! Do it wrong and you will loose valuable muscle, do it right and you will get rid of all that unwanted fat!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    More training at a higher interval threashold maybe the ticket?

opps meant to say that quality of training is as important as quanity but if you improve both?????