Home Chat General Chat

Can you ever drink too much tea?

I love tea. Not the nampy pamby herbal teas mind, but proper tea. Preferably Yorkshire tea, but I won't turn down a PG, or be mortally offended if I get served a mug of tetleys and it's lovely with a hunk of soreen or a jaffa cake.

Thing is, I drink about six mugs a day supplemented with the odd glass of water (tea's got water in right?). But am I overdoing it on the tea? Can you ever drink too much? [8|]

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Teaflavadave (see what I did there) I hate tea and believe that 1 cup a day is far to much.

I am a coffee drinker and have been thinking the same thing about coffee! I have changed to decaf but still I thibk to much is more than 4 a day! I have increase water consumtion to 3 litrs a day and yes you got it I am peeing clear liquid so this makes me think I am ok! Arghhhhhh what is the answer.

Sorry no help but............ZZZZZZZZZZZ

More caffine needed!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    in short no! tea is great! I alternate tea and coffee, love them both!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    In short, no you can never have too much tea I reckon. but it has to be yorkshire tea OR twinings everyday tea, properly brewed, a tiny bit of milk and no sugar.

It really is the only way.....
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I prefer my tea unboiled With no milk. Or sugar. Or tea.

OK. It's just water.

I prefer the simple efficiency of water.

I can't make tea. If I put the kettle on, then 30 minutes later I remember, by which time it is stone cold. This get repeated about 5 times. Then you finally get to pour hottish water over the tea. Then forget about it. Then it is all thick black and greasy, and you have to start over again. After about 9 hours, you finally have a cup. But, by this time, it is colder than body temperature. I'll drink it. But it isn't nice.

No - if I am thirsty I want to drink. Right then. So water for me.

Unless its wine or beer. But the principle is the same.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    i used to drink tea and HATED coffee. Now i drink coffee and HATE tea.

i used to love lying in bed all day and HATED hard work. Now i love hard work and HATE lying in bed.

.....i reckon i could keep this going for a while.....
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Blimey, you've turned your life around Gary!

I get you on the hard work front, I just need to find a job I like first [:@]. However, I will never turn to the dark side of the force (coffee). It gives me the shakes.

And how can you hate tea with a signature like that?
  • garyroberts wrote:

i used to drink tea and HATED coffee. Now i drink coffee and HATE tea.

i used to love lying in bed all day and HATED hard work. Now i love hard work and HATE lying in bed.

.....i reckon i could keep this going for a while.....

did you used to like women . . .?

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I love this forum. In no way has the original question been answered [:D]

I have heard on good authority that tea counts towards your xxx pints of water a day. But then the other day I heard that drinking it too hot has links to cancer...

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Thanks for the reply Mowf.

So put simply it's either fine to drink tea, or it will kill me. Think I will go with the first one if you don't mind and pretend I never read the second.

*puts fingers in ears* la-la-la-la-la-la

• iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    I did hear the other day that 6 cups/mugs of tea was fine, as long as your drinking vessel isn't oversized.

Personally i also find tea tastes much better when preceded by a bacon sandwich.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I hope it isnt't too bad for you ... I drink on average about 10 mugs a day, and by mugs I mean "Very oversize drnking vessel" I have three mugs of tea (no sugar and small amount of milk) before 9 am.

Ohh and there is only one tea ..... Yorkshire tea ;)

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    thought tea and coffee were both diuretics? and that you were supposed to drink double the volume in water to rehydrate yourself?

not that i do that....i love tea and reularly drink more than 4 cups a day. in fact i cant do any work at all until i've had my morning brew
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The only minus I can see about large quantities of tea is caffeine intake preventing restful sleep. The diuretic thing is true, but I fail to see the logic in drinking a fluid that is diuretic as being a problem when it is a mild diuretic, taking the view that any fluid is diuretic as you will always need to pee after. As for te cancer thing well I immediately thought when I heard it that the biggest danger of drinking tea when it is too hot, is burning your mouth.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    JOURNAL OF HUMAN NUTRITION AND DIETETICS Volume: 16 Pages: 411-420

Results: The available literature suggests that acute ingestion of caffeine in large doses (at least 250-300 mg, equivalent to the amount found in 2-3 cups of coffee or 5-8 cups of tea) results in a short-term stimulation of urine output in individuals who have been deprived of caffeine for a period of days or weeks. A profound tolerance to the diuretic and other effects of caffeine develops, however, and the actions are much diminished in individuals who regularly consume tea or coffee. Doses of caffeine equivalent to the amount normally found in standard servings of tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks appear to have no diuretic action.

Conclusion: The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status. Therefore, there would appear to be no clear basis for refraining from caffeine containing drinks in situations where fluid balance might be compromised.

I use this as a basis for taking regular tea & coffee breaks (2 cups of coffee and 2 of tea per day). I also remember seeing some research that suggested coffee was actually useful post-workout although I can't remember where I read it.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    It's a good job I have biscuits with my tea then.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Wrong? Wrong? No, I was merely formulating my thesis on the available information, using narrow parameters & frames of reference.

The introduction of further considerations to ameliorate the tea/coffee loading effect, was not in the remit for my study.

I shall retire to my ivory tower to consider new evidence that has emerged.